Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Portuguese teachers    

Portuguese teachers

Nina Pizzo
Portugal

Portuguese teachers

I �m asking Portuguese teachers for help as you will quickly understand exactly what I mean. So, here �s my simple question:

Does anyone know how to say "aulas de substitui��o" in English?

Thank you very much!

23 Apr 2012      

Andreafernandes
Brazil

Here, we say replacement classes...

I hope it helps!

23 Apr 2012     

Nina Pizzo
Portugal

Thank you, Andrea. Smile

23 Apr 2012     

Liligirl
Brazil

Also make-up class or make-up lesson .

23 Apr 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I don �t know Portuguese, but make-up class or lesson sounds better to me than replacement class. A make-up class teaches material that was taught in an earlier class but the student missed it. A replacement class is a class that is taught instead of another class. For example, the school canceled the class in Asian history; the replacement class is world history.

23 Apr 2012     

Nina Pizzo
Portugal

Well, MoodyMoody, neither of the situations you describe really applies to what I need to know. But, as you seem willing to help, maybe you can.
In Portuguese state schools there this (recent) procedure for when a teacher is missing on a certain day (sometimes unexpectedly): a different teacher takes his/her place and keeps the students busy inside the classroom, but often there is no teaching-learning going on; sometimes the students watch a film, sometimes they play games and sometimes, if the teacher who is missing has left some tasks and guidance for the "substitute" teacher, an actual class can take place. The main purpose of the "aulas de substitui��o" is keeping the students inside the classroom - learning is desirable, of course, but secondary.

If you could tell me the name for this in English, I �d really appreciate it.

23 Apr 2012     

teresapr
Portugal

What about Substitution teacher lessons?
This link may provide some ideas.Hope it may be useful.
Teresa

23 Apr 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Yes, Teresa has it right, then, substitute teacher lesson plan is probably what you mean. I could figure out "substitui��o" reasonably closely, but "aulas" is completely unknown to me.

23 Apr 2012     

Nina Pizzo
Portugal

Thank you Teresa, MoodyMoody, Liligirl and Andrea.
You have all been most helpful. Hug

Thank you for the link, Teresa!!

24 Apr 2012     

dafodil
Portugal

Thanks, Teresa, I used to say substitute teacher but without any certainty! I used to say it for jokink. Thanks a lot for sharing the site.

24 Apr 2012     

dafodil
Portugal

Sorry, for joking!

24 Apr 2012     

1    2    Next >