Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > WALT and WILF    

WALT and WILF

almaz
United Kingdom

WALT and WILF

WALT & WILF

I just came across these today from a primary school teacher. Does anyone actually use these acronyms IRL?

23 Apr 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

Not at my community college, we don �t use these acronyms. As far as I �m concerned, Walt is short for Walter (such as Walt Disney). I never heard of WILF at all before, and the first meaning I found on Google was Woman I �d Like to F--- (very crude term for have sexual relations with). I don �t think that �s what your teacher friend had in mind.

23 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s not all that bad, Moody:)
WALT - we are learning to
WILF - what I �m looking for

I �ve never heard anyone use it in my surrounding:)

We do use SWBAT and SWD in terms of learning outcomes:)

Sophia

23 Apr 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Wow, Moody, way to go on the �misunderstanding � front. I know what they mean. I �m just asking if anyone actually uses these acronyms when talking to other adults without feeling the need to throw up.

WALT = We Are Learning Today
WILF = What I �m Looking For (not what you �re thinking, Moody)

23 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Alex: looks like we were posting simultaneously:) 
Sophia

23 Apr 2012     

kmtr
United States

It must be our dirty American minds MoodyMoody because I thought the same thing!!  HAHAHA!!!

23 Apr 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Och, you �re just naughty wee American monkeys!

23 Apr 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �d never heard either acronym before, so I Googled. The first meaning of WILF on Google is the one I mentioned. I �m a middle-aged heterosexual female, so I don �t really have any use for that meaning.

23 Apr 2012     

N.F.T
South Africa

In my school we use the acronym WILT "What I learned today" - usually recorded in a homework book of some kind. The crude on you �re thinking of is MILF. I won �t define it, but that �s the one.

23 Apr 2012     

izulia
China

Hi,
In our school we follow British National Curriculum and teachers in primary classes HAVE to put both WALT (We Are Learning Today) and WILF (What I am Looking For) on the board before every lesson. Students also write down WALT in their exercise books straight after the date.  E.g. WALT: How to write an animal report. WILF: Can I write in paragraphs?
I always feel that WALT and WILF sound highly unnatural, but this is how learning objectives are introduced to the kids in our school...

24 Apr 2012