Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Opinios about Reading Aloud in class    

Opinios about Reading Aloud in class

Emanuel22
Costa Rica

Opinios about Reading Aloud in class

Hi dear teachers, I want to know your opinions about having students read aloud in class in order to improve pronunciation and tone. I have asked  to some my collegues about the effectiveness of this technique and most of them say it is an old and poor strategy. I don �t think so because my students really enjoy reading aloud and I � ve noticed they have improved a lot their English skills, so Please share your opinions and experiences about this technique.

24 Apr 2012      

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think they have to read aloud, otherwise, how could they improve their pronunciation and tone.

24 Apr 2012     

douglas
United States

I am very much FOR having students read aloud.  It �s a great opportunity to practice pronunciation and diagnose problems.

Douglas

24 Apr 2012     

Hamidou2008
Morocco

Hello Emanuel,
  I have been teaching English for eight years so far, a short experience indeed. So, what I am going to speak about  is the way I am doing it. For example, in reading comprehension lessons, I ask a number of students to read loudly the text- or at least few lines for each student not the whole text to give the chance to more students to read, but this is only if one of my aims in this lesson is to develop students � pronunciation. If my only aim is comprehension, then students read the text silently- no loud reading-  and do some comprehension tasks while reading ( read and answer questions, do a true/fals exercise, fill in gaps, complete sentences, complete charts, find opposite or synonyms, correct false statements...)
  Above all, in teaching there is no best method to adopt. Some old methods are still effective methods. The best way you may need to do things is to be eclectic and take the best in each method no mather how old or recent it is.
  I hope my reply is of some help.
      Cheers 

24 Apr 2012     

Emanuel22
Costa Rica

Hi, thanks for your comments... I agree with all of you, reading aloud should be worked more often in class because it is chance for our students to develop their skills, however,we got to know that the aim of this activity is to improve pronunciation and tone and not comprehension which should be developed with others activities as Hamidou mentioned.

24 Apr 2012     

Poppingdale
Portugal

I � ve been teaching for almost 20 years and my students have always liked reading aloud. So, why not do it? I think enjoyment must be present as far as possible. Besides, I think it very effective to improve their pronunciation and tone.   But I �ve also come across people who thought otherwise. Just follow your instinct. As far as I � m concerned, I �ll go on doing it.

24 Apr 2012     

Poppingdale
Portugal

I always tell the students to read in silence first, otherwise reading aloud won �t be as effective.

24 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

In addition to pronunciation and tone, reading aloud improves fluidity.

Bruce

24 Apr 2012     

Emanuel22
Costa Rica

Hi, thanks for your comments... I agree with all of you, reading aloud should be worked more often in class because it is chance for our students to develop their skills, however,we got to know that the aim of this activity is to improve pronunciation and tone and not comprehension which should be developed with others activities as Hamidou mentioned.

24 Apr 2012     

imelda
Mexico

Hi,
My students like reading aloud so I think it is a good thing. I like having them read by turns to each other in pairs or trios so they practice listening to their classmates because only the person who is reading is allowed to look at the book and the others must listen, after they have finished reading I ask them to close their books and I ask them some comprehension questions. After that I have them read aloud as a class and I help them a bit if necessary with pronunciation or tone, this time everyone can follow along in their book. 

24 Apr 2012