Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching big numbers    

Teaching big numbers

Jayho
Australia

Teaching big numbers

Hi everyone

Straight from my inbox to you -  a fantabulous BBC lesson (inc lesson plan and ws) on teaching big numbers

Lots of our students have problems with big numbers. Sometimes they don�t know where to say �and�. Sometimes they confuse numbers like �sixteen� and �sixty�. In this lesson students revise big numbers in a fun way. First they play a guessing game, then they play Bingo! They finish with a pair work jigsaw reading activity.

Cheers

Jayho

24 Apr 2012      

yanogator
United States

As a Math instructor, I would alter this game, because the word "and" is not correctly used in a whole number. "And" indicates the decimal point. If this weren �t the case, there would be no way of knowing if "four hundred and three thousandths" meant
400.003   or   .403

Bruce

24 Apr 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Sorry Bruce - but I don �t quite understand what you mean in relation to this lesson.

Do you mean where they say 999 = nine hundred and ninety nine?  This is how we say it here. Maybe SBE and SAE are different in regards to this. 

In your example we would say four hundred thousand and three if it  had no decimal place (400 003) and four hundred point oh oh three if it had a decimal place to three places (400.003).  In fact, I think your second example is beyond what most ESL learners need because I don�t quite understand how you got the .403 from 400 003 myself (sorry but maths is not my strong point). I can �t see any reference to numbers with decimal points in this lesson.

Cheers

Jayho

EDIT: I�ve just clarified it with Swan�s Practical English Usage 389.10

UK English: always put �and� between hundred/thousand/million numbers below a hundred.
US English: �and� can be dropped

As this is a BBC lesson the usage is correct for those teaching/using SBE.  Anyone teaching/using SAE will need to adapt it accordingly.

24 Apr 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

Thanks Jayho. very useful.
I find students at all levels (and I teach adults at Upper Intermediate and Advanced) have trouble pronouncing numbers.
It �s true that BE uses �and � and US don �t.
Sorry Bruce but I am also a tad confused...good thing I teach english and not maths!!!
Cheers Joy

25 Apr 2012     

anaisabel001
Spain

Thanks a lot Jayho!Hug

25 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

And yes AmEn doesn �t have and:)
Sophia

25 Apr 2012