Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I am in a worry     

I am in a worry

marie001
Tunisia

I am in a worry

APOLOGY   _    REGRET
what is the difference between    apology    and regret ;  Iam a bit mixed between both functions

27 Apr 2012      

donapeter
Romania

a�pol�o�gy/əˈp�ləjē/

Noun:
  1. A regretful acknowledgment of an offense or failure: "my apologies for the delay".
  2. A formal, public statement of regret, such as one issued by a newspaper, government, or other organization.

re�gret/riˈgret/

Verb:
Feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over (something that has happened or been done, esp. a loss or missed opportunity).
Noun:
A feeling of sadness, repentance, or disappointment over something that has happened or been done.

Just check the dictionary when you feel confused. 

27 Apr 2012     

Apodo
Australia

You regret doing something. You feel bad that you did it.

You apologise to someone. You say �I am sorry".

28 Apr 2012     

noursen
Tunisia

Hi !

i think we apologize for something done or to be done in the future:

"i �m so sorry that i missed your birthday party"

"i �m very sorry, i �m busy i can �t be present in your party ,next Monday"

But ,regret is sadness that you feel about something you wish it had not happened or that 

you hadn �t done it

28 Apr 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

The two words have a slightly different connotation for me as a speaker of American English. An apology takes personal responsibility for the results of your actions. "I am sorry I forgot to pick up your clothes from the dry cleaner. It is my fault."

Expressing regret means that you express sadness as the result of an action, but you don �t necessarily take personal responsibility for it. "I regret I can �t allow you to come in; you aren �t wearing a jacket and tie." It �s isn �t MY fault; it �s the restaurant policy.

But this is solely my own reading and I don �t claim that this is official in any way.

28 Apr 2012