Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which is correct?    

Which is correct?

aniapen
Poland

Which is correct?

Hello, could you please help me with a sentece, because I got quite confused. Which is correct?
1) Can you speak slower, please?
2) Can you speak more slowly, please?

Thank you in advance.
Have a nice Sunday!

Anna

29 Apr 2012      

Mariethe House
France

Can you speak more slowly,please?Smile

29 Apr 2012     

mima85
Serbia

The second one is correct, because an adverb should be used in the sentence. 

29 Apr 2012     

pianogirl
Iran

As a matter of fact both of them are correct only number one is informal.this is Longman dictionary example:

If you go slower, you �ll see much more.

more slowly and slower both of them are adverbs and in your sentences they are used correctly. anyway, that is what I think.

29 Apr 2012     

europe
Portugal

Technically speaking, slower is an adjective: slow, slower, slowest. 

There were two trains. I could get a ticket only on the slower one. 

Technically speaking, slowly is an adverb.

I speak slowly; Tom speaks more slowly than I; Martha speaks

the most slowly of us three. 

In everyday conversation, people do not want to take the time that 

is necessary to say: Would you speak more slowly, please?

So they just say: Would you speak slower, please?

When you write, you may wish to use the "correct" form, but 

in speech, I would guess that most people use the "popular"

form -- except in formal speeches.

29 Apr 2012     

aniapen
Poland

Thank you for your replies. I �m correcting a test according to a key and I should send the corrected test back to the person who prepared  the test and the key.
They key says that only sentence 2 is correct but I �ve heard some people using �speak slower � too, so I wasn �t sure. But as it �s used in informal language only, I think I can �t consider option 1 as a correct answer. This was a tricky question for my primary student...

29 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I think tricky questions are best avoided in tests (especially if there are two possible correct choices) especially with primary ss, i.e. you shouldn �t confuse them. Unless this very sentence was drilled in class.
Sophia

29 Apr 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

slow  -   adjective
slowly  -  adverb
I agree with Sophia 

29 Apr 2012     

htunde
Hungary

Comparative forms of adjectives and adverbs are in many cases the same (well-better, good-better) but unfortunately not in this case.  According to http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/adverbcomp.htm When an adverb ends in -ly, more is put in front of the adverb. Probably it happens because the English tries to avoid multiple suffixes.

Hope it was of some help.

29 Apr 2012     

sulekra
Australia

I �m pretty sure both are ok. I am much more likely to use the first one though, in this case. I �ve read in a couple textbooks that the comparative form of one-syllable adjectives can be used in place of comparative adverbs. I �m not sure whether this works for all one-syllable adjectives, or some are simply exceptions, but here �s a couple examples.

~Please stop texting on your phone and drive safer/more safely!
~The sun is shining brighter/more brightly than yesterday.

29 Apr 2012     

foose1
United States

Personally, I really do not understand why anyone would ask someone to speak slowly as I always say, "could you say that again please." They normally get the point.  I watch karaoke here in Thailand and try to say the words that I am reading in English/Thai before they are song.  I found out that if I need to understand Thai, I need to recognize the word in a split second (site words). I find that I do not have the time to ask a Thai person to speak slowly.  So why would anyone ask the same question to a person who is speaking English? Maybe in a classroom environment, perhaps?   In America, when the Vietnamese came over from Vietnam because of America leaving, if I spoke slowly to a South Vietnamese person, I would always hear, "you are speaking down to me, please speak normally."  I expect the same thing from a Thai person speaking Thai to me.  It is not their problem I do not know the sounds of the words as I should know them.  I listened to a Chinese man going to an International school and one of my Thai English teachers.  They spoke so fast I had a hard time understanding them.  At the same time, I remember my professors at college speaking the same rate.  I believe (if my memory serves me correctly) that the rate of speaking by a University Proffessor is around 350 words per minute (it makes students pay attention).  My belief, teach at a fast rate and don �t talk down to people.  If they do not understand the word at the normal rate, they are not learning and if I cannot catch Thai words at the normal rate, then I am not learning Thai. 

John

29 Apr 2012     

1    2    Next >