Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > READING TEXTS - make it fun    

READING TEXTS - make it fun

jannabanna
France

READING TEXTS - make it fun

Hi everyone,

Next time you have to work on a reading comprehension text (and let �s face it they are often at the beginning of each new unit in your book) try this method:

Give each student a blank A4 sheet of paper. This exercise is best done with the students sitting in a circle, but could be adapted as and when necessary. Put the title of the text on the board and get them to put it on the top of their sheet of paper. Tell them to imagine what the text is about and draw a line down the left hand side of the paper - just large enough for vocabulary.

Ask each student to write 12 words that they think will be in the text according to the title. When they have found their words tell them to pass their sheet on to the next person and they will collect the one from the other side. They now have to select 3 words from the list and in the right-hand column, write the first paragraph using these 3 words and adding (of course) anything in order to make the paragraph interesting. Tell them to cross out the words as they use them. They must not forget the title of the text, but will have to adapt each time because of the new words to use.

When they have finished their paragraph they pass on the sheets and do the same as before, take 3 words to make the second paragraph � pass on, take 3 words � write the last paragraph which could be the conclusion to the text.  They pass on their sheets for the last time and they read what they have in front of them � a text written by 4 people!!

Either you, the teacher, could correct the texts and leave them in the classroom for them to see later or get some of them to read �their� text out loud. I prefer the latter, even with their mistakes, they love it.  They are now ready and willing to read the text to find out if it has anything to do with theirs!

This has worked for years for me (in all levels) and we always have a good laugh because the texts have NOTHING to do with the one we are going to read, but it takes the boredom out of reading comprehension.

Let me know if anyone tries it out and how it worked.

Janet

4 May 2012      

poupina86
France

Thank you for this idea. I �m going to try it with my class as soon as I can.

4 May 2012     

nourelhouda1
Tunisia

hi , 
very interesting idea . I �ll keep it in mind and try it out one day .

4 May 2012     

catimini18
France

Very good idea indeed, will try it!
Cathy
catimini18
http://lewebpedagogique.com/welcomeheretoo/

4 May 2012     

bakimustafa
Algeria

thank you dear teacher interesting idea i �ll try it with my students and i �ll tell you 

4 May 2012     

caren_630
Egypt

very interesting.. thx

4 May 2012     

bakimustafa
Algeria

may i share your interesting idea with my colleages

4 May 2012     

jannabanna
France

Of course you can Bakimustafa, no problem!!

4 May 2012     

flo84
France

I will definitely try it with my students, sounds very interesting to do with students. Thank you for sharing Smile

4 May 2012     

starrr
Brazil

me too, THUMBS UP!Wink

4 May 2012     

cagriyurttas
Turkey

thanks I � ll try.

7 May 2012