Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need help with grammar questions please.    

I need help with grammar questions please.

Reale
Netherlands

I need help with grammar questions please.

Hello,

Can someone please help with 2 questions about grammar usage/form? 

1) Sts must use the correct form of verb in brackets.  In the sentence "Researchers from the USA (find) ..........that people who feel lonely suffer from high blood pressure."
The correct answer is found.  My Student argues that found out is a better answer.
Why is found not found out correct or are both good answers?

2) In the sentence " The doctor told reporters:"Within the limits of this study, it can (predict).............that frequent consumption of wine leads to dental erosion."  The correct gap fill answer is be predicted.   Why is be predicted correct?  Is there a grammar rule for the form can be predicted?

Thanks in advance
Fran

6 May 2012      

red_sneakers
Indonesia

Hello :) 

1) Found is the correct answer because it is a result of a study (by the researchers) while "found out" means "finding something by chance or not on purpose"

2) That is the correct answer. It �s passive voice. 
The rule of Passive Voice is always S + to be + V3. 
Since Modals are always followed by V1, so in passive we use the word "be" after modals, followed by V3. 

I know that �s not a really good explanation, but I hope it helps. Have a great day :)

A.J.

6 May 2012     

Reale
Netherlands

Thanks for your answer.  I agree that the sentence is passive.  Is the active form-

The study can predict, within the limits, that frequent consumption of wine leads to dental erosion.

I �m not sure.

Regards,
Fran

6 May 2012     

red_sneakers
Indonesia

I �m not sure that �s the correct active since usually it �s people who are able to predict, not the study. 

Maybe we can say it this way:

"Withing the limits of this study, we can predict that the frequent consumption of wine leads to dental erosion"

If your students ask, you can explain that the "we" refer to the doctors as the speaker of the sentence. 

:) 

A.J.

6 May 2012