Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Do subjects at school go with Capital letters?    

Do subjects at school go with Capital letters?

englishbutterflies
Spain

Do subjects at school go with Capital letters?

Hi teachers,
I have a doubt today!
I always thought that subjects in English go with capital letters, as the months and the days of the week. But I �ve come across a text in a text book where they are not in capital letters, and now I �m not sure...
Can anybody help me?
Thanks
Esther

8 May 2012      

jpinero
Spain

I don �t remember if I read this in a Teacher �s book, but you don �t need to write subjects using capital letters except for languages. E.g. Chinese, English, Italian but maths, science, etc

8 May 2012     

englishbutterflies
Spain

Thank you for your help about Languages. That thing is for sure! But I �m still wondering about the rest... In the textbook when you read a sentence, it �s with capital letters... and still I don �t know what is correct according to spelling...Confused

8 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think jpinero is right about the rules, but I �ve noticed that more and more people are writing them all with capitals. Maybe this is because when you see subjects written down, it �s often as just a single word, above classroom doors and so on, so they have the capital, then, people write them wtih the capital in other contexts.

8 May 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi there everybody!

I have just come acrossed with this link regarding the use of capital letters. It might be useful:

8 May 2012     

englishbutterflies
Spain

Thank you everybody!!
Here there is another link I �ve found:

It refers to all the uses as well as the ones you said in your link, and it seems that it all depends of the noun they come from.

English comes from England.
Portuguese comes from Portugal.
and so on, that �s why all the languages and nationalities are capitalised.
But all the rest, only if they come from a NOUN.

Thank you all for your support!
It will be a bit difficult for little kids... I �ll try to do my best so they don �t commit the same mistakes with this topic as I �ve been doing so far...
Have a nice week!

8 May 2012