Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > lost in translation...    

lost in translation...

Mariethe House
France

lost in translation...

My boyfriend �s workshop is opening on Saturday and I have written a presentation of his work for the  visitors . (You �re welcome by the way!!Smile) There might be some English people there so I have done a translation in English. Can anyone check it for me please? Smile Thank you.
A few words about the artist and his work.
The first thing one can say about GB is his love for the paper he works on: traditional Japanese paper:"washi" He has with this material a very sensual contact: he folds it , ruffles it , creases it, twists it and , little by little, a pattern, a shape, a silhouette appears which he shapes up, reinforces, underlines with ink: black, preferably but sometimes coloured.
Don �t be puzzled by these lines, prints, circles, spirals that remind the buddhist  monk �s zen garden. (Every morning, the monk tirelessly rakes the sand  or gravel drawing lines , circles and waves  which invite us to meditation.)
In a very similar way, G�rard �s work is some kind of meditation, an invitation to inner peace.... A break.
The artist also aims at aesthetics : light collages, folds,filigree spirals, straight lines, broken lines , secretive superpositions... A whole poetical world.
Gerard was marked by numerous influences. he was born in Morocco where he spent most of his childhood.He also has roots in Cantal , the wild and untouched nature of which he really loves. He has travelled a lot and to Japan in particular where he has lived for short periods of time. The traditions and modernity of that country have greatly influenced him.
2012: GB sets up his "atelier du ruisseau" workshop . He wishes it to be a lively place, an opening on the world , a place where you can talk, exchange ideas and rest , away from the turmoil of the world.
Don �t hesitate to come and visit . You will be very welcome.

The words in blue, I am not very sure of. But there might be others that re not corresctly used. I will be very grateful if
you can help. Thank you.
This is one of his recent works: " voluptuous"

8 May 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This sounds fabulous and I wish I could come. The translation makes perfect sense and sets the scene for a wonderful, peaceful experience. Just one or 2 suggestions, since you �ve asked, Marie. 

1) Word order �he has a very sensual contact with this material �
2) Move the comma �black preferably, but.. �
3) ...remind the buddhist monk �s.. � What about �invoke � instead of �remind �.?
4) I think the words in blue are fine, but what about �Gerard has been  marked � instead of �was �. Or you could have �shaped � or �moulded � instead of �marked �.

Maybe also, instead of �invite us to meditation �- English might prefer the verb to the noun. �invite us to meditate. �

Well, I �ve really enjoyed that! 

All the best with the workshop.

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

He has (what comes first) a very sensual contact (then indirect object) with this material..

G. �s style was shaped by numerous influences... 

He has travelled a lot, namely to Japan where ...

He has travelled a lot and has lived in Japan for short periods of time...

Japanese tradition and modernity have marked his artistry in a unique way.

You will be warmly welcomed:)

Not a native speaker:) Just giving you some alternatives:)
Sophia

Edit: cunlife and I were probably posting simultaneously:) @Lynne: would appreciate if you could cast an eye on my suggestions and give a short comment.

8 May 2012     

juliag
Japan

Oh, how exciting!!!Big smileBig smileBig smile

How I wish I could be there with you both to share in your joy and success.

I think it �s a fantastic translation, but a couple of things I might change are:

He has a very sensuous relationship with this material.

Agree with Cunliffe on the comma after "preferably" and on the use of "invoke" (not "remind")

which invite us to meditate on them

G �s work is a kind of meditation

a place to pause and reflect, instead of "a break"

The artist �s work also explores aesthetics

G was molded by many influences, or, actually I prefer: G �s work has been shaped by many influences

add comma between: in particular and: where he has lived - i.e. ... in particular, where he has lived...

Love "Voluptuous" and hope you can share more with us, if Gerard doesn �t mind.
Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK with everything.

Hugs to you both HugHug
Julia and Pi

Edit: Sophia�s suggestions which only just saw (must have been posting at same time) also very nice

8 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Wow! That �s fabulous! I love modern technology!Big smile
Thank you soooo much Lynne and Thank you for your comment . You are quite welcome any timeSmile
Thank you Sophia . I quite like the " you will be warmly welcomed" and I promise you will be!!LOL
Here �s an invitation for both of you:

edit: Ahhhhh Julia! We were writing at the same time!! Thank you soo much and of course you are mostly welcome! Just jump on the next plane! I will put you up for a few days! Actually for as long as you like !! Hug

8 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Sophia, your suggestions were really good. I particularly liked, �namely Japan �. I was just going to suggest a hyphen instead of �and �. �He has travelled a lot - to Japan in particular, where.... � I also like �G �s style was shaped by numerous influences... � English loves a passive, but we could easily say, �Numerous influences have shaped G �s style. � 

Et a vous, Marie, je vous remercie pour l �invitation. Un jour, je viendrai..  Line x 

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Oui, Marie, j �allais de dire la meme chose:)
Sophie

8 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mon Dieu, Sophia, nous both avons broken the anglais-only rule! ( I won �t tell anybody if you don �t!) Wink

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Lynne: thanks for getting back to me.
Sophia

8 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Mon Dieu les filles! Votre fran�ais est excellent. J �aime particuli�rement votre franglais Lynne!!
LOL

Merci, merci encore!Hug

8 May 2012     

yanogator
United States

It should be a dash, not a hyphen. A dash goes between words, and a hyphen goes inside words (multiple words or a line break).

Bruce

8 May 2012