Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Looking for the right expression    

Looking for the right expression

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Looking for the right expression

Hi everybody!

When teens are on the street just talking, doing nothing especial, and they want to invite someone to join them, is it possible to say:

�We�re just hanging out. Join us!�

The 1st sentence sounds awkward.

Thanks in advance!

8 May 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

hang about

(British Englishinformal)1 to wait or stay near a place, not doing very muchkids hanging about in the streets

hang out

(informalto spend a lot of time in a placeThe local kids hang out at the mall.

or else

- What are you doin?
- Nothin, just chillin.
Wink
Sophia

8 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yep - �chilling � is the word of the moment. That �s what they �d say - �We �re just chillin � � 

8 May 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Last I heard, you can just use hangin � without a particle.
Isn �t that one of the problems with trying to capture �teen talk �/ �street � etc? Does anyone under the age of twenty actually say chillin � nowadays? As far as I remember, if anyone older than you used your slang, you just stopped using it. I suppose this is the difference between slang and colloquial language.

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Come on, Alex, seriously? When did you last hang around say American teens that you �re saying that chillin is outdated? Where �s that secret source of statistics you use? Let us all know so we could be wiser:)
Sophia

8 May 2012     

GIOVANNI
Canada

@ueslteacher, I think the secret source is age.  I haven �t heard chillin in years, hanging in, hanging out yes, but chillin, it �s been a long time.  Smile

8 May 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Good question, Sophia, but, as the kids may, or may not, say: backatcha! What �s your up-to-date source?

My secret sources and, it has to be said, my secret vice, are Reddit and sites like it (4chan, Digg, for example). I�ve been using (and lurking on) these sites for years and I still feel awkward when I make a comment using internet slang and receive answers from people who are either foul-mouthed 12 year-olds or sophisticated 60 year-olds (or vice-versa). Sometimes, I can�t tell the difference.

Oh, and I�ve never used the word �dude� seriously in my life.

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Do you mean I �m old?
As for me, I �ve never been around native-speaking teens:) The things I know I pick up from the media.
@Alex: I hope you�re NOT referring to me when you say foul-mouthed:) I�m curious to know in what age category would you put me?
Sophia

8 May 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Perish the thought, Sophia.

8 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Alex: which one?

8 May 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Sophia,

I don �t CARE how old you are!  I would put you in the 18-to-24-year-old bracket --- young enough to be lovely, yet old enough to be also highly intelligent.

(Now, I will be banned from the ESLP site FOR EVER!)

Les

8 May 2012     

1    2    Next >