Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What does this quote mean??    

What does this quote mean??

hheyitsme
Tunisia

What does this quote mean??

Hey fellow teachers!

I was poking around my  inbox and I found this quote (below) in one of my messages, can someone tell me what it means :)

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because you won �t have a leg to stand on.

Thank you in advance, 

Sondes

11 May 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s a metaphor or an exaggerated idiom

put your foot in it

(British English) (also put your foot in your mouth North American EnglishBritish English)to say or do something that upsets, offends or embarrasses somebodyI really put my foot in it with Ella�I didn �t know she �d split up with Tom.
 So, I guess someone either wanted to give you a piece of advice or that �s their moto:)
putFoot
Sophia

11 May 2012     

yanogator
United States

This is a little joke made by combining two common expressions.

To put your foot in your mouth is to say something inappropriate or foolish, which embarrasses you.
Not to have a leg to stand on means that you don �t have any support for a position you hold, or an argument you are trying to make.

So, if you put both feet in your mouth, you won �t have any credibility.

Bruce

11 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Great explanation, guys. What an expressive phrase. It should be our challenge to see if we can use it this week. Wink

12 May 2012     

hheyitsme
Tunisia

Thank you so much for the explanation guys :)

Cheers, Sondes

12 May 2012     

Sexybomber
United States

Do not chase 2 things at a time. do one thing with keen concentration at a time. Count one first, before two

12 May 2012