Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > shell eggs    

shell eggs

jarek2011
Poland

shell eggs

I wonder what you call in english an action of removing a shell from an egg? To shell an egg is my guess but I don �t know whether it is correct :)

18 May 2012      

yanogator
United States

I assume you �re talking about a cooked egg. In the US, at least, we call it peeling the egg.

If the egg is raw, we remove the egg from the shell, rather than removing the shell from the egg.

Bruce

18 May 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Thank you very much for your explanation Bruce! Yes, I meant cooked eggs :)

18 May 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Jarek 2011.

You are correct, (in the UK at least).  Here, in the UK, we "shell" eggs.  We remove the shell from hard-boiled eggs.

We also "shell" peas out of their pods, and we "shell" beans also, out of their pods.  "We spent the whole afternoon shelling peas".  We also "shell" nuts out of their hard shell or outer covering.  "We all shelled Brazil nuts, peanuts, and walnuts at the party". 

If we are using uncooked eggs, we "crack" the eggs, or more commonly, we "break" the eggs into the dish.  We then "whisk" the eggs into a creamy mixture, using a fork, or an egg-whisk.

Les

18 May 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Thank you Les for your help. I really appreciate that you took your time and answered my question in detail. Have a nice weekend!

18 May 2012     

Jayho
Australia

In the land down under we peel a hard boiled egg and we crack/break the egg into a bowl/pan etc if it is raw or coddled. 

Cheers

Jayho

18 May 2012