Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > TALKING ABOUT NEW SITES...    

TALKING ABOUT NEW SITES...

zailda
Brazil

Pilarmham, I don �t know about your religion, but I was taught that if you give something with the right hand, don �t tell even your left hand.

I help the way I can, and it �s not the case of listing every single charity campaign I �m engaged in.

It seems the post against ads here became something about judging other person �s moral qualities.

If no one can rule what can or can �t be advertized on Victor �s site board, commenting about the way "we think" people are in their personal lives is too much, isn �t it?

22 May 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

Dear Zailda,

I thought it was all about sharing here, giving and taking, as I understood. My religion (or lack of it) is not an important issue. 

Our limits here are set by V�ctor, and he is quite generous and patient. Why, if he allows it, should we try to narrow them? Could it be that only by marking new limits, even if they are stricter, do we feel good?

22 May 2012     

zailda
Brazil

I said that because of my religion (or the one I was raised in) I don �t see with good eyes if we give and tell everyone what we did. The more discrete we are about it, the better. Your religion is not important on this matter, but mine is.

It seems we �re defending the same idea, as Victor said: they are allowed to ad whenever they want. (Is this a period?)

Sometimes I hear from new members that they are afraid of contributing because the rules are very strict. Maybe they aren �t, but some members want them to be.

The funny part is that the same members who tell the others to help without any profit, are the ones who try to make the life of others as difficult as possible. Anything that botters them for some reason even the person doesn �t know, they start trying to create a rule to stop it.

If the forum has some content that we don �t like, we should read our FB timeline, the news, or maybe prepare a lesson for tomorrow.

22 May 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

How can it be that your religion is more important than mine?...

Maybe, as you said in a previous post, the issue here is about morals. Could that be the problem?

Our religion allows us to be better than anyone else, even if we feel there is something not quite right in our behaviour. 

My question is, if this place is open and friendly, why make it stiff?

22 May 2012     

zailda
Brazil

My religion is important because I �m explaining my behavior. Your religion doesn �t have anything to do with my behavior. You said your religion doesn �t make difference on this matter. Mine does. 

Where did I say my religion is more important than yours?

Yours is a good question and I �d like to hear the people who got bothered with the thread answering it.

Hugs

22 May 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

I was �touch� � when this thread started, that �s true. But I don �t think we should solve this issue talking about religion or interests. 

22 May 2012     

zailda
Brazil

In fact I think this thread should have gone in a completely different way.

Every time someone shares a link for a site with good school resources - paid or free - the members add a comment to thank the person. 

Why is this one so different?

It wasn �t me the one who started a discussion about interests, profit, money, etc.

As the topic mentioned previously was "charity", I guess it involves some kinds of beliefs and the religion a person has.

Again, I thank the person who started this thread, with so wonderful resources.

Have a nice day / evening!

22 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Zailda: "charity"! I hate that word! I never do things out of charity but out of generosity!
Anyway I come to the conclusion that we will not agree but we don �t have to agree ,do we?Smile. With some people we �ll never agree. I just have to accept that! Big smile

23 May 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

"Every time someone shares a link for a site with good school resources - paid or free - the members add a comment to thank the person."

I agree here, although I would prefer to see free resources advertised. And btw, is posting your own link, i.e. blowing your own horn, by directing people to a paying site considered sharing? I �m skeptical.

Finally, religion should never be a part of any school-related website IMHO.

23 May 2012     

zailda
Brazil

This is not about religion, but since "moral values" were mentioned, religion is part of it, isn �t it? Maybe religion was turned into a taboo, although religion (or the lack of it) is part of everything we do, including teaching. And the intention was not to "discuss" religion, it was only mentioned among other reasons. 

Is it a topic that could never be mentioned? I don �t think so, many moderators have supported their votes on the moderator �s page using their religion or beliefs. If we can �t express freely on an educational website, what will we teach the youngsters? That some things are not to be mentioned? Sorry, but when at school I learned that everything can be discussed without questioning other parts values or moral. Just MHO.

Since links are considered a valuable piece of information on the internet and there are good sites that only share links (like delicious), I consider "sharing" any kind of information that takes me to good resources, paid or free. BTW, Google is one of the strongest sites and it only shares links and ads.

But I guess the issue is not about what I, you or anyone considers the word "share" refers to. Victor had already given his permission for this kind of post on the forum, and the only person who �s entitled to complain or erase it is the owner of the site. And I �m sure if he thinks the advertizing is too much, he �ll send Evelina and Xani a PM instead of this kind of exposure on the forum. Why do so many people think they have the right of ruling the site?

Funny, some people imply that "some others" are not nice. 

23 May 2012     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8