Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I dont understand the meaning    

I dont understand the meaning

mirela.sorina
Romania

I dont understand the meaning

I have a problem with understanding something- I have a tool that it is said it makes cross hatching on a clay; can u explain what is that in other words?

20 May 2012      

Pierreroset
France

I �d say it �s a tool which creates a mesh-like pattern (intersecting sets of parallel lines, like a grid) on wet clay when you �re doing pottery. I �m not sure, though. Good luck !

20 May 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

mersi beaucoup,ma cherieThumbs Up

20 May 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Mirela.Sorina,

In Architectural Drawing, or Daughtsmanship, "Hatching" is drawing a series of equidistant parallel lines across a portion of a drawing --- for example, to indicate the extent of a playing field (on Plan); the area of an occupied space (on Plan); the thickness of an intervening wall (on Section); etc.

"Cross Hatching" is drawing a series of equidistant parallel lines, in one direction, with another series of equidistant parallel lines, at right-angles, (or nearly), to them.  These form "Crosses", like a grid.  This second type of "hatching" is called "Cross Hatching".

I imagine that the same term is employed for a type of decoration used in Pottery.

�Pierreroset � is perfectly accurate in the description.

Les

20 May 2012     

Pierreroset
France

Thanks ! May I add that "hatching" actually comes from the French "hachurer", which means "shade with closely drawn parallel lines" ? The "Brainy Smurf" minute is over, I promise !

20 May 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

Thank u both; yes I know , french domiantes the english vocab-))Shocked

20 May 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Merci beaucoup, mesdames. Vous �tes tr�s gentilles!

20 May 2012     

Pierreroset
France

I must congratulate �ldthemagicman � on his perfectly accurate use of accents ! :) �mirela.sorina �, I hope we helped a little.

20 May 2012