Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Again, I need your help    

Again, I need your help

mjpa
Spain

Again, I need your help

Again I need your help with a few rephrasings since I still don�t understand the difference between would rather and would prefer, for instance.

Coul you help me with these sentences, please?

It would be a good idea to take a first aid kit with you. You�d ...
It�s a real shame she didn�t manage to pass her exams. She didn�t manage to pass her exams, ...............
I�d rather you didn�t tell your mother about us. I would...
In my opinion they should tell me the truth. It�s high time ...
I would prefer you not to speak so quickly. I�d ....

21 May 2012      

Mariethe House
France

1. You �d better take a first aid kit..
2. She �d better revise more thoroughly next time!!?????
3. i would prefer you didn �t tell your mother. I would prefer you not to tell....
4. It �s high time they told me the truth.
5. I �d rather you didn �t speak so fast. I �d rather you spoke more slowly ,if you wouldn �t mind ,please.Smile

21 May 2012     

Apodo
Australia

It would be a good idea to take a first aid kit with you. You�d be unwise to go without taking a first aid kit.
It�s a real shame she didn�t manage to pass her exams. She didn�t manage to pass her exams, unfortunately.
I�d rather you didn�t tell your mother about us. I would prefer that you say nothing.
In my opinion they should tell me the truth. It�s high time they told me the truth.
I would prefer you not to speak so quickly. I�d rather you didn�t speak so quickly.

The difference is in the way the words are used. This might help with the explanation.

http://www.eslmonster.com/article/prefer-and-would-rather

21 May 2012     

mariec
Spain

1) You�d better take a first aid kit.
2)She didn�t manage to pass her exams, which is a real shame.
3)It�s high time they told me the truth.
4)I�d rather /I�d sooner you didn�t speak so quickly.

WOULD RATHER + BARE INFINITIVE. "I�d rather watch TV" ( would sooner is the same)
WOULD PREFER + FULL INFINITIVE.  " I�d prefer to watch TV"

21 May 2012     

mjpa
Spain

Thanks a lot for all your answers.
As for the second sentence, the answer i was looking for is mariec�s one.
Regarding would rather and would prefer, i thought the thing was as mariec again, says, but sometimes the sentences  are transformed in diffferent ways as some of you have done. So, I still don�t understand the difference.

21 May 2012     

zoemorosini
United States

The difference how?  In meaning?  In structure?  I �d like to help, but I �m not sure what you need.

Zoe M.

21 May 2012     

mjpa
Spain

>The difference in structure. How those expressions are usually used.

22 May 2012