Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > TRAVELED OR TRAVELLED? REGULAR OR IRREGULAR VERBS?    

TRAVELED OR TRAVELLED? REGULAR OR IRREGULAR VERBS?

nuroma
Spain

TRAVELED OR TRAVELLED? REGULAR OR IRREGULAR VERBS?

Which one is correct? Which one is the past simple of travel?
 And can we know if the past of a verb is regular or irregular or the only way to know it is to memorize them?

24 May 2012      

havpa
Portugal

TravelledSmile

24 May 2012     

nuroma
Spain

Thank you, but I don �t understand why do we double the last consonant because the word "travel" is not a monosyllable...

24 May 2012     

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

The difference is between Am.E. with one "l" and Br.E. with double"l" both in Past Simple/Past Participle (traveled/traveled - travelled/travelled) and Participle I (traveling/travelling).

24 May 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Take a look

Greetings from Greece,

24 May 2012     

nuroma
Spain

Thanks for your help! :)

24 May 2012     

mfraczek
France

You can spell it both ways : travelled is the English spelling whereas traveled is the American one. Hope it helps....

24 May 2012     

mjpa
Spain

Nuroma: The correct word is travelled, with two ls. It�s an exception, that�s the reason why it�s this way even though there is another reason more important. It�s an exception because of the stress. That�s why it doubles the l. I know it is because of that, of the stress even though i can�t explain it really well know. I don�t know the rule exactly. I always tell my students that monosylable verbs double the consonant  when they finish with a vowel and a consonant (just one) as in stop or rob (even though I know that is not really correct because it�s for the stress) and that there is an exception which is travel.

24 May 2012