Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > another question    

another question

jarek2011
Poland

another question

Another question to my knowledgeable friends. Imagine that you have a small palpable mass under your skin as a result of excessive work up or simply hard physical work. What would you call that mass? A lump maybe?

2 Jun 2012      

GIOVANNI
Canada

A callus.  

2 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

blister if it �s fresh and filled with fluid

Sophia

2 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Thank you for your responses but it �s neither callus (that may develop because of friction on our limbs) nor blister (caused by too frequent rubbing/ pressure/ irritation).

If you get "that small palpable mass" the only way to get rid of it is to go to the masseur that will give you  a couple of massages and then that thing will disappear.

2 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

spasmed muscle Confused

2 Jun 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

muscle spasm ? cramp ? I can �t think of anything that "will disappear" if you get a massage ...

2 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

muscle knot?

2 Jun 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �d probably call it a cramp (if it comes on and goes away quickly), a muscle spasm (if it lasts a while and hurts like crazy), or a knot (if it lasts a while but more feels stiff or a little sore but not a lot of pain). This definitely sounds muscular. I wouldn �t call it a callus (thickened, hard skin) or a blister (fluid covered by a thin layer of skin). I certainly hope I can �t call it a tumor...

2 Jun 2012     

Apodo
Australia

You can have a knot in a muscle which is a lump that can be massaged away.

2 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

The word that I was looking for was a muscle spasm/ knot - thank you very much for your help!

3 Jun 2012