Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The bee īs knees    

The bee īs knees

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The bee īs knees

Hi dear friends. I īm on half term, got a lovely week off. Going over to my neighbour īs for a jubilee party later. I hope this doesn īt sound like crowing īcos after that, we īve still got six hard weeks before we break up for summer. So, what īs this got to do with teaching English? Well, I wanted to take the opportunity to say īthank you � to you all for making this such a wonderful site. There īs nowhere else like it. My resources have improved so dramatically, I īve gone from zero to hero. I turn up with interactive, animated ppts! Me! My wss are brilliant and beautifully designed! And I īve recently acquired some great reading resources from a member on here. My students think I am the bee īs knees (something really special). And I wondered -  are there any sayings that mean something similar to that in other languages and how do they translate into English? 

3 Jun 2012      

evafer
Spain

Hi Cunliffe, thank you for your message, you are the milk!!!- literal translation from the spanish expression  " Ąeres la leche!" which refers to someone really unique.
Take care and have great fun at the party!
Eva

3 Jun 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I can surely relate to you, cunliffe! I īve learnt so much about resources here, my own ws to begin with and how to make them nice... About the "being special" phrase, I can īt think of anything in particular, we can say she īs special, she īs great, fantastic, a genius, nothing you can īt say in English... and certainly you īre not "the milk" here... makes no sense here or in Argentina... It īs amazing to see the changes in language usage with an ocean in between! Have a good Sunday!

3 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

I īd say Eva īs "eres la leche" is similar to the English "the cream of the crop".

Bruce

3 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you guys, for your replies.

3 Jun 2012