Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Using YouTube in the classroom    

Using YouTube in the classroom

_babz
Canada

Using YouTube in the classroom

Hello everyone! Nuke

I wanted to know if anyone uses YouTube in their classroom!

I was fortunate- four years ago, I got a multi-media classroom and started using Youtube (which began just about then).

It started with a Terry Fox activity - and I was a little amazed how many students had no clue who he was (famous Canadian-ran for cancer awareness). So I showed them a clip, and it went very well as a conclusion to my activity.

Students are a lot more visual these days and it helps. What do you guys think?

Do you have any favourite clips that you use?

Here�s an activity I recently did. Great for grade 6 and 7. In my class book, there�s a unit on the Future and technologies, and I showed them a clip on "space elevators". They loved it! We had a class discussion and then I had them write: What did you think about space elevators? Will they actually work and allow the average Joe to go into outer space?

Hope this helps...looking forward to your comments.

9 Jan 2009      

MissMelissa12
Peru

I feel myself lucky to work with multimedia classrooms too. I use youtube for different purposes: sometimes funny videos on youtube and more things but mostly to do karaokes with my students. There are many cool songs that come with lyrics, this is what my students love the most of youtube.

I have to extra watch on them as well. You know youtube as any other media are full of harmful things for the students.

I have a friend who is keen on language teaching despite being an enviromental engineering undergradute student and he loves making videos on youtube. Whenever he makes a cool video (usually about environmet issues) he gives me hints to use it with my students.

He�s just removed many of them though :( I miss his funky videos.

On the other hand, my multimedia class serves me for more amazing tools other than youtube.

9 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Tbabalis:

I work with  multimedia classrooms as well and I sometimes use Youtube.

I use it for for songs, and give the students  a worksheet to go with the song.

I also use Youtube to show Just for Laughs segments.  This is a lot of fun because I put the class into two teams and I have them watch a video.  I have them write as many sentences as they can as to the actions that occur in the video.  The team with the most correct sentences wins the game.  This is especially good for using the present continuous or the past continuous.

I also sometimes use some of the short videos.  How It�s Made is an  excellent program with various videos. This programe describes how things are made from chocolates to space stations.
 It�s very effective for discussions afterwards.

I think our school is very fortunate to have this because it opens a lot of doors.

I would also be interested in knowing how others use multimedia.

9 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

The most successful thing I have used from Youtube has been �The Mom Song�.  There is an excellent worksheet here on eslprintables that gives all the words with little pictures to represent the missing words.  It is a wonderful song and an excellent listening activity.

Check it out - it works well every time I have used it.

9 Jan 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

THANK YOU Logos!

Your recommendation is great! The video is funny and useful indeed!

But I couldn�t find the ESL ws. Can you write the name/ category I have to look for???
Thanks again!

9 Jan 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Well, I hope Michael was referring to my worksheet! You will find it here: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=65965#thetop (The title is very original... It is  �The Mom Song�! LOL)
I have never been able to try it with my own students! Unhappy

Frenchfrog (I am not at home, so I cannot add one of my frogs! Cry)

9 Jan 2009     

dennismychina
China

I don�t have the luxury of a multi media classroom but I do use  

YouTube for song and music related lessons.

I�m not sure if you are aware of this but it is possible to easily

change the format of the video file when downloading, allowing

you to play the file in a PPt presentation.

With Real Player installed on your computer (it�s a free download)

whenever you play a file on YouTube a little window appears on the

top RHS of the video. The sign says download this video. On the right

(in this little window) is a little window pull down button. (arrow) Left

click this button and at the bottom of the pull down, it says save this

file as. Left click on it and the save as window opens. In the save as box

at the bottom �delete flv at the end of the file name and replace it with

avi � mpg � or any other file type you�d like to save it as. It sounds long and complicated but once you�ve done it once��

9 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Yes, I should have remembered.  Who else in the world can squeeze in so many pictures in a seven page worksheet except the Frog.  I notice it has only 125 downloads, well, hope this advert can get you a few more - after all you may need the points!!!!

It really is a funny and wonderful activity - try it.

9 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, with those recommendations how can a bloke say no?

Downloaded! LOL

9 Jan 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Yes, it was quite a challenge to use so many pictures without exceeding the 300kb limit!!

Michael, I like the "title" you have given me: the Frog!!! So funny!LOLLOLLOL

The Frog! LOL

9 Jan 2009