Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A wimpy kid    

A wimpy kid

this is it
Argentina

A wimpy kid

I�m working on a project on bullying and I�m using the film,"Diary of a wimpy kid" which is great. However, I do have a doubt. Why is the main character considered �wimpy? The word �wimpy � describes a weak, cowardly person. Could it refer to someone who cannot stand up for himself but isn�t cowardly? I don�t know ... Has anyone got the answer?

Thanks in advance

4 Jun 2012      

millmo
France

Wimpy is used to describe someone that is not physically strong OR  someone that is not mentally strong. 

5 Jun 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

It comes from the word wimp ( �a weak, cowardly or ineffectual person � - Merriam-Webster). Incidentally, a burger-chomping character in the Popeye cartoons was called Wimpy (also gave his name to a chain of burger restaurants in the UK - although I haven �t seen one for years) and was known for being lazy and cowardly but also highly intelligent.

5 Jun 2012     

sanasana
Ukraine

Though i �ve never met this adjective before, i �d like to say that already waiting for your project :) Good luck and inspiration!

5 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Wimpy � does imply cowardice as well as being  feeble physically. It �s usually used as a noun, as in �He �s a real wimp. � �Weedy � means skinny and weak, but has no reference to mental strength.

5 Jun 2012     

valentinaper
Greece

I �ll quote Greg so that you can see that the actual word takes on a new meaning in the book.
"...What really burned me up about that whole incident is how that guy called me a nerd. Now I �ll admit I �m not the most macho guy around in school in terms of wanting to do push-ups all the time or whatever, so if you want to call me a wimp, then fine. But I know one thing for sure, and it �s that I �m NOT a nerd.

The trouble with nerds is that they give wimpy kids like me a bad name, because people end up lumping us all in the same category. When I think of nerds, I think of teachers � pets and tickle fights and hall monitors, and that is not me."

By the way, I love the books, too, so I �ll be waiting to see your work! Good luck!

5 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Maybe you could make use of this quiz  http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=which-diary--wimpy-kid-character-are-you ?

As to the main character, he did betray his friend, right?
Sophia

5 Jun 2012