Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a proverb    

a proverb

jarek2011
Poland

a proverb

There is one thing that makes me scratch my head. I want to find a English equivalent of a common proverb that I use. I wonder whether English, however abudant in words and phrases it is,  has a similar saying. The proverb conjures up an image of a flag flown at  full-mast that has to be lowered. It says about our expectations - they should more in line with the reality.

9 Jun 2012      

lili2006
Poland

this may be:
Look before you leap - Mierz siły na zamiary.
or:
cut your coat according to your cloth
mierz siły na zamiary
have a nice day, Aleksandra

9 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

If someone is aiming a bit too high and they are out of their depth, we say they are punching above their weight.

9 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

I am thinking and thinking, I have put my thinking cap on, my face is twisted with effort and I have cocluded that: lower one �s expectations is the best phrase.

As far as "look befor you leap" or "cut your coat according to your cloth"  are concerned, they are quite close to the meaning that I have in mind but not identical.

Cunliffe, the phrase "punch above one �s weight" is fine and maybe it will work in the context provided. By the way, I didn �t know the phrase :) Thank you all for your replies!

9 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Lower your sights � is a bit better. There isn �t anything as colourful as the flag coming down.

9 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

Jarek, you didn �t tell us what the proverb is (in its English translation, of course)

Bruce

9 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Bruce, literal translation is as follows: Come down (lower) the flag flying at the full mast.

And I think that Cunliffe nailed it: Lower one�s sights !

I love you guys for clearing it up for me!

9 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Alternatively: set one �s goals lower. Now it seems so obvious but I really couldn �t come up with the right equivalent that would feel the same in English :)

9 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

We also have an expression taken from pole vaulting, which comes close to yours:

Lower the bar

Bruce

9 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

thank you all for all your time and replies!

9 Jun 2012