Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Virus Warning    

Virus Warning

Zora
Canada

Virus Warning

Hi there,

Yesterday, I was downloading stuff from my page here. When I went to my page, I saw an icon with a PDF download arrow. Consequently, I downloaded it thinking that it was a new improvement added when I wasn �t around.

Today, I decided that I didn �t need the reader - about 30 minutes ago - and when I tried to uninstall it, my antivirus warned me that it was a back door virus!

I am now running a full scan, and changing passwords like crazy. If anybody else did the same thing as I did, they should check their computer - just in case.

Hugs,
Linda

12 Jun 2012      

Mariethe House
France

Thank you Linda Hug I did have something funny on my computer too offering a PDF converter . Luckilly, I didn �t click on it. Good luck with sorting your computer out again! It is a pain!!Ermm

12 Jun 2012     

Zora
Canada

Thank you Mareithe! Hug Checking and double checking everything now - no major damage - I hope. Hope you are well. Smile

12 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Linda,
What �s a back door virus? I �ve heard of worms, Troyan horses, phishing but have never heard that one beforeConfused and why do you need to change passwords and where?
Sophia

12 Jun 2012     

zailda
Brazil

I think she �s talking about a rootkit, that are files or softwares with something damaging inside. When you open the file or run the software, they "open a door" on your computer and let the viruses in.

An antivirus without the antirootkit feature will only detect viruses and trojans, and not files or softwares contents, if your  computer is valuable for you, I strongly suggest that you purchase a complete antivirus software license (virus, trojan, rootkit, internet content, etc.).

The difference between a trojan and a rootkit is that a trojan is a software that opens your computer to something bad it has inside and has no other function, like a video converter, for instance - it won �t convert anything in fact; a rootkit may be inside a file or software that was created by someone else (like a pdf file or a Microsoft software) you get at an insecure site, and the program or file will work normally, until you notice something wrong - and it �ll be too late.

If your software has internet protection, it will warn you about the insecure sites and the rootkits as well. The first time you download something from a site, you should rightclick on it and choose "scan" before opening.

Have a nice day!

Zailda Coirano

12 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks Zailda:)
I use ESET Smart Security and it usually blocks suspicious sites and I do scan the files before opening, but I haven �t heard about rootkits so thanks for clearing that up for me.
But why change passwords and where?
Sophia

12 Jun 2012     

Zora
Canada

I changed my passwords because sometimes a backdoor could be a way for a hacker to access your info. It �s like phishing and I am a bit paranoid now. There are so many things going on with viruses and the like that I am not taking chances. I do banking online and I use ebay and Amazon.

12 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Oh, I see now, you mean passwords to your online accounts. With the development of technology people become more inventive in evil as well.
Thanks for responding,
Sophia

12 Jun 2012     

Apodo
Australia

I �ve seen that PDF downloader too. It appears when you aren �t logged in to ESLPrintables. Luckily, I was suspicious so I didn �t click on it.

12 Jun 2012     

lyny
Mexico

I suddenly got a strange message from james33, with a red arrow like drown on the post.
I tryed to delet it buy I couldnt, so I turn off my lap. How could I know if my lap is damaged.
How can I check it. My anivirus finished last week and Now I can�t take it with the person always check it.
Thanks in advanced

12 Jun 2012