Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > cultural differences    

cultural differences

Mariethe House
France

Linda, wherever you go, you will be at home! You are such a lovely person that everyone will open up their arms to you! Do you remember when you came to see me? Everyone in the village fell for you!! And don �t forget my part of the world is very much like Canada! At least, that �s what you said!!Wink Just to refresh your memory:Hug

13 Jun 2012     

Zora
Canada

Mariethe, I really loved your part of France! You are right, it is very similar to certain parts of Canada. Smile Also, everybody in your village was so friendly - how could I not enjoy being there.

I think that after reading your words, I �ve just realised that I do carry a lot of lovely memories of Canada around with me and maybe whenever I see something that reminds me of it, part of me just smiles and feels happy. Perhaps you are right, I will feel at home anywhere just because I often see the beauty of my homeland elsewhere and I often meet very special people like you. Hug

Take care my friend - and keep taking those amazing pictures!!!!

Linda

13 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That looks like a gorgeous place, Mariethe:)
I haven �t been abroad all my life... though I was born in Russia and also visited the Caucuses when I was 8 but those used to be all parts of the same country then. Even inside Ukraine I don �t travel much but the area where I live (Bukovina, Western Ukraine) is really picturesque.
I feel at home in the city I �ve lived since I was 4 and if you care to see it, here are some videos of the downtown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TKEDo-R3ls&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm3uE0XlR-8 (Mariethe, ce ci est pour vous, si vous aimez Joe Dassin. Vous savez, on appelle Chernivtsi un petit Paris (please forgive me my mistakes)

As to the unexpected answers of my students (whether due to cultural differences or the way they think) I wish I had kept track of them in a notebook bc they skip my mind when the topic comes up. I do remember though they would give some really interesting ones when we practiced Conditionals and build logical chains. 
Thank you, Marion, for starting this thread and thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.
Sophia

Edit: here�s the Chernivtsi University where I studied at the Foreign Languages Department 
Чернівецький університет, панорама

13 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Wow, what great pics and lovely thoughts. As for me, I am a gypsy by nature. Wherever I lay my hat, that �s my home. And I like it that way... Great song. (In Italy, though, it would be a lovely little summery hat.)

13 Jun 2012     

Mariethe House
France

@Sophia: Merci beaucoup!Hug Votre fran�ais est excellent et j �aime beaucoup joe Dassin . Votre ville est vraiment un petit Paris!! Si jolie!
@ Cunliffe: I love that expression of yours: wherever I lay my hat , that �s my home! On the way down to Italy, you �re quite welcome to lay your hat at my placeBig smile
@ marion: Thank you for starting this thread which, unexpectedly turned to be something different to what you were asking for but, in a way, paradoxically,that �s what you were asking for !!LOL
Very touched by what you say Sophia... It seems so easy for us to travel that one doesn �t imagine it is not a common thing for everyone. Listen, I have a friend from my area who lives in Ukraine most of the year and he comes back home  for the summer in his old van. Shall I ask him to give you a lift and we can meet!Big smile

13 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Haha:) Thanks, Mariethe, for the invitation:) Travelling abroad for me would involve applying for a foreign passport and a trip to the embassy for a visa, or purchasing a tour from some tourist agency. 
Sophia

13 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Sophia: Your home town is beautiful. I have two students from Ukraine, I will find out more about the towns they have come from.
@Les: Hey, Les, I love my home really and I still would, even if it was Gateshead. Wink
@Mariethe: you are on! @jannabanna: Thank you for sharing your French worksheets on iSL Collectives, which I use with my year 9 French class. 

I feel such a warm glow at the moment!!! Thank you for this post, Marion.

13 Jun 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

What a surprise, logging in after a few hours to find so many responses to my post.
Indeed, it took a bit of another turn than what I was thinking of but that is fine. As Mariethe said, in a way it is of course what I intended. I think one notices the differences most when one is reminded of what was...
Sophia, the university building looks absolutely amazing! and so does your photo mariethe, with all the heat here i would just love to let myself fall down in the water there!

About the grammar, well, actually the sentence was part of a whole sequence and I shortened it a little for the forum �s sake. (the sentence was a response to a fortune teller stating "you will move to another country" etc. etc.) but the grammar wasn �t the point, as has become clear....

13 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

Linda,
I feel a small difference between the simple future and the simple present after "hope". It might be so small that non-natives don �t sense it, but I think the native speakers might agree with me.

"I hope it �s sunny tomorrow" talks to me about the general weather condition for the day. It is a kind of prediction (in hope, rather than founded). "I �m sick of this rain. I hope it �s sunny tomorrow".

"I hope it �ll be sunny tomorrow" talks to me about looking into the future because of having plans that depend on good weather. "I hope it �ll be sunny for our picnic tomorrow".

Again, these differences are very slight in my ear and might even be regional in their use, but that �s my analysis of the situation.

(David - chenchen - I know you �ll enjoy this analysis, since it �s the kind of thing you and I discuss)

Bruce

13 Jun 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Wow Sophia! What an amazing building!  
Mariethe... you �ve been lucky to meet some eslp members in person, it seems!  
Bruce, the clearest explanation, as always!
Nice topic Marion! Thanks!

13 Jun 2012     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >