Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help! Portuguese Language Training    

Help! Portuguese Language Training

douglas
United States

Help! Portuguese Language Training

Hi All!

One of my students was just notified that he will be responsible for a project in Brazil and is looking to learn some basic Portuguese.  Portuguese classes in this area are "few and far between" so I suggetsed he try some online or computer-based training.

Can anybody suggest any computer-based and/or online Portuguese courses that they have heard/experienced to be effective/helpful? 

He is a true beginner in the language, but a highly intelligent, structured, and meticulous learner.

Thanks in advance,
Douglas

14 Jun 2012      

Zora
Canada

Hi Douglas,

I found this on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/portuguese/talk/summer/

Your friend should also find out if it �s basic Brazilian Portuguese or Portuguese-Portuguese. I believe the difference lies in the vocabulary and pronunciation of the words.

Cheers,
Linda

14 Jun 2012     

aleia
Portugal

Hi Douglas

Your student can start by learning some useful everyday vocabulary.
He can find lots of useful videos on YOU TUBE.
Here is an example:GREETINGS- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byV2DBu_Lvg&feature=related

There are quite a few videos with the English translation for each sentence and the pronunciation is Brazilian Portuguese which in fact is a bit different from the Portuguese(Portugal) pronunciation.

Hope this helps.ASmile

14 Jun 2012     

douglas
United States

Isn �t this a WONDERFUL community!!  Thanks to everyone that have offered their help, suggestions, and services.

You are all awesome and I am blessed to have you in my (virtual?) life.

Cheers,
Douglas

14 Jun 2012