Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching adults iat the age of 50s    

Teaching adults iat the age of 50s

sanasana
Ukraine

Teaching adults iat the age of 50s

Dear guys! Who could suggest some course or materials for teaching adults of 55 years old. Never had any experience like this and a bit nervous and confused!

19 Jun 2012      

mari_18cf
Brazil

Try to use vocabulary that matches their daily life.

19 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Give them some placement tests to begin with and find out about their previous experience with the language. Then, of course, it all depends on the reason why they need to learn the language. If it �s work related you should base your classes around that, if it �s for communication (again business vs. private or travelling) then it �s a different story. In any case use ice-breakers, speaking cards, model dialogues and role-plays as much as possible. 
When you know their level and what your ss need the language for, it�ll be easier to choose the course. Browse through here http://elt.oup.com/cat/courses/adult_young_adult/?cc=ua&selLanguage=uk&mode=hub 
Sophia

19 Jun 2012     

sanasana
Ukraine

Thanks for answering, guys! 
But I forgot to specify that they learned English at school, can barely read, don �t remember grammar at all  and need it for communication and everyday life. I also feel a generation gap that i �ve never felt before with any other adults :(
Thanks in advance!

19 Jun 2012     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I �m 55 and can assure you won �t have any different problems than you usually have teaching other students. I had a 78-year-old student who was one of my best ones ever.

It �ll be helpful if you ask them about the things they like to do or their interests: if they dance, swim, play / watch sports, cook, etc.

Some of "us" have lives that match perfectly  the "normal people" �s activities, whereas some adolescents are a pain in the neck because their favorite spare time is "to sleep" their favorite food is "bubble gum", and whoever you use as an example (from Shakespeare to Osama) they ask in return: "who?" 

I hope to live and learn a lot �till people start saying:

- Put Zailda in the sun.
- Take Zailda out of the sun.
- Gosh! We forgot Zailda in the sun!

Cheers

Zailda Coirano

19 Jun 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Sanasana,

55 years old --- my goodness, I wish that I had YOUNG PEOPLE in my class like that!  (That�s not entirely accurate, because my students on SKYPE range from 16 to 45, with most below 23, and my 2 girl students in the UK are 11 and 13).

What wonderful stories your students could tell, beginning: "When I was young ... ...".  Perhaps I am wrong, but the question: "Do you have any grand-children?" should produce some lovely memories.

Zailda, I think that I may have had your student in my class, later in his life.  He was an excellent student, and was much better than the 18-year-olds in the class.  He had more life in him than 2 of the younger students put together.  He was 81 years old.

As you know, not all students are considerate towards the teacher.  However, he was EXTREMELY respectful towards me.

Why was he considerate, attentive, and kind to Teacher Les?

Because his mother had taught him always to be polite towards people who were older than he was.

Les 

19 Jun 2012     

Apodo
Australia

mari 18 cf has the right idea.
Teach vocabulary that is useful to the students. I �ve had several older students who started learning English as mature adults, one who didn �t start learning until she was over 70. She was able to make herself understood with some basic nouns and verbs (mostly present tense).
Cooking, food, family, health, shopping, money, numbers, time, days, filling in forms, gardening, house and home, where they live etc.
Our class made a small recipe book, with something from each student.

Use pictures (not babyish ones) and REPETITION. Most older students recognise and understand a lot more vocabulary than they can spontaneously remember ( a cause of frustration for some - be patient). A lot depends on their previous education (or lack of it) too, as well as their life experiences.

Marion

19 Jun 2012     

puddyd
Oman

Dear Sanasana,

I often find that sending them home with a Needs Analysis on day one, as their first day �s homework ,works really well . You can include a small paragraph at the end too, so you have an example, early on in the course, of their writing abilities. 

The best thing about teaching students in that age category is that they have passion and are there because they want to learn. 

As a member of ESLPRINTABLES , you have all the materials you would needs.A good book , that I enjoy is NEW ENGLISH FILE http://elt.oup.com/catalogue/items/global/adult_courses/new_english_file/?cc=global&selLanguage=enand they can use the students interactive website for extra practice too: http://elt.oup.com/student/englishfile/beginner/?cc=om&selLanguage=en they also love the 

Enjoy it, it �ll probably be the best course of your  life.

Regards Andrea 

19 Jun 2012     

douglas
United States

My experience is they usually love to tell stories and talk about their life experiences.

20 Jun 2012     

titine69
France

Dear sanasana,

I �ve been teaching a retired couple French for 3 years .They are 64-65 years old and they love speaking about their past life.They are also very interested in cultural issues such as the celebrations,the famous historical characters of the country,the traditions .They want to know more about the cooking of my country.Sometimes they ask me to prepare a lesson on a famous French writer.Well,you can do lots of things with them as they are very attentive,enthusiastic and polite.It �s a pleasure to teach them my language .When I am in class with my students (11-15 years old)it �s completely different:they don �t have this passion for learning!
So,have them speak about themselves,then choose a conversational topic.(you are at the doctor �s/you discuss about environmental issues...)You can use boardgames as well:they will be happy to play and will remember their childhood .
You can play cards with them  and teach them the most famous game of your country,you can also study songs.I can assure you that teaching adults/old people is a pleasure and you will learn from them .It will be an enriching experience for all.

Greetings from France.
Titine.

20 Jun 2012     

sanasana
Ukraine

Dear friends! 
Thank you all for your replies! Today i had my first lesson with my new group and  saw for myself that all my worries were groundless! With your comments I �ve been much more confident!

20 Jun 2012