Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Why I work with short stories    

Why I work with short stories

libertybelle
United States

Why I work with short stories

I�ve noticed that those WS with the most downloads are colorful
verbs sheets.
I love them too - but as an American teaching ESL in Europe and as an avid reader - I must say that nothing replaces the book or story.

The old art of story-telling is so important, both for language learning but also for  personal growth. If our Students read many stories, AND THEN we use those stories to teach grammar  - there will be a much deeper understanding of the language and I would bet my grannie�s behind - that those kids will be speaking better English than those who learn English only through grammar exercises.

I learned to speak a second language fluently by speaking, and reading lots of short stores and comic magazines.  The grammar came later.

I would love to see more WS here with short stories before the grammar.
When I went through the reading category, many of the WS were reading material about grammar!!!
So people, let�s share stories - ones the kids can read and have read to them.
( I have one today - oops! Shame on me!)Evil Smile
(just to give you an example of what I mean)
I  hope more of you do the same - it would be great with lots of reading materials!

Hugs
L

10 Jan 2009      

JUANBEGI
Spain

I agree with you; it�s a nice idea. I will try to send some stories. As for speaking, I cannot use this skill with my pupils in the classroom. It�s a pity but the Spanish Educational system has provoked this situation. Hugs form Spain

10 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I agree totally with you libertybelle. Like JUANBEGI, I wish the system here would encourage this sort of thing. In Japan generally the focus is on repetition, repetition, repetition & not particularly student initiated.

Cheers.

11 Jan 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Hi Libertybelle, I just spotted your post while looking for something else.(he he) It is sooo nice to hear a comment like this. I am working with our local library at the moment and read English stories to school classes. I read a simple book and then get the children to draw a story line to the book. It is so much fun and the teachers are always impressed. I am a great believer in reading to learn. Most of the kids I teach are Kindergarten kids (so acn�t read yet) and I use a picture book in nearly every lesson depending on the theme.  I am a great fan of all Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler books... Gruffalo etc...
I would love to swap ideas if you are intested, send me a private message if you have time, I am always looking for new ideas involving books.   Take care and greetings from frozen Germany. Yeti xxxx

11 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

yetigumboots - sounds like a great idea! I wonder if I could do the same at my local library. I�ll have to improve my Japanese first. I�ll file thios one away for next year. Thanks for the inspiration!

12 Jan 2009