Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > How many words do you know?    

How many words do you know?

Jayho
Australia

How many words do you know?

Hi everyone

How many words do you think you know? This interesting website is part of an American-Brazilian research project, and gives you an estimate for how many words you know following a short two-stage test. It �s free and gives you a result immediately when you finish the test, which might take up to 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

Jayho

7 Jul 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Liked it! Thanks.

7 Jul 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Thank you again! I started a new list because of this link: TESTS

Greetings from Greece,

7 Jul 2012     

valentinaper
Greece

That was very informative, thank you. And the stats were surprising, at least I thought so!

7 Jul 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Good one!
The stats are intriguing.

7 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Awesome! Thanks Jayho! 
I �ve just taken it for fun, and though I think the results are not conclusive, it �s nice to know I came pretty close to the low margin of native speaking adults (16 400 vs 20 000)Wink What do you think, Jayho?

Sophia

8 Jul 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �m afraid modesty forbids mentioning my score! Wink

8 Jul 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Well done Sophia.

It �s fun and interesting to see how you score compared to other test takers.

Personally, I think the test result can only ever be deemed as a guide as it is a five minute test based on a 100 odd headwords that tells you how many thousands of words you presumably know. The site also states that the averages of respondents does not reflect the general population of native speakers.

But, determining vocabulary size is virtually impossible so something like this serves as a guide.  There are others around too but this one at least has sound research as to the basis of it.

Cheers

Jayho

8 Jul 2012     

rach81
Philippines

cool!

8 Jul 2012