Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Grammar Correction:    

Grammar Correction:

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

Grammar Correction:

Dear Wonderful Teachers:

I need correction of the following sentences:

1." Write the names of the two people who have influenced you on a piece of paper."

2. "Each person has part of a text about the life of William Shakespeare ."

3: " His mother came from a farming family." Can we say his mother came from farmers� family.?

4. " �Look at the main ideas below and skim read paragraphs from the �Going Green inAustralia� website.�

5:" Using the report sections in Activity 8, make notes on the problems that face the polar bear. "

11 Jul 2012      

ajkenny
Korea, South

Hello Nabeera Nasar

Sentence one:

1." Write the names of the two people who have influenced you on a piece of paper."

We primarily use the definite article "the" when we are talking about unique things or things which have already been introduced previously in the conversation. In this sentence the second "the" is unnecessary, unless your going to add a qualifier that makes the people unique in some way.

Eg.

1." Write the names of two people who have influenced you on a piece of paper."

This sentence is fine, although I would be inclined to insert a comma after "you" to enhance reading flow, and is making a general request. Write the names of (any) two people who have influenced you at any point in your life on a piece of paper.

1." Write the names of the two people who have influenced you most on a piece of paper."

By adding a qualifier for the people, distinguising them from others who have influenced you, the second "the" is now justified.

Sentence two:

2. "Each person has part of a text, about the life of William Shakespeare ."

Here the comma is necessary as this sentence is clausal. The first part of your sentence is the subject, what the sentence is about, and the second part is the predicate, this is information about the subject.

Sentence three:

3: " His mother came from a farming family."

This sentence is fine and requires no change. Here "farming" is used as an adjective rather than a verb

3: "Can we say his mother came from farmers� family." Well, firstly farmer is a countable noun so you would need to include an article, in this case "a".

3: "Can we say his mother came from a farmers� family." This sentence seems to imply that that the family was not hers. The family belonged to "a farmer" and she was not included in this. Whilst I can �t specifically say this is grammatically wrong, I would not use this sentence. Perhaps a stronger grammarian can clarify this point further.

Sentence four:

4. " �Look at the main ideas below and skim read paragraphs from the �Going Green inAustralia� website.�

Firstly, correct the spacing towards the end of the sentence.

Eg.
4. " �Look at the main ideas below and skim read paragraphs from the �Going Green in Australia� website.�

This sentence is fine as is. Traditionally in English no comma was required in front of copular words, such as "and" as the pause was read as inherent. However, more recently in American styled English, commas are used where previously their effect was inherent but not written. So, your sentence could be written as follows.

4. " �Look at the main ideas below, and skim read paragraphs from the �Going Green in Australia� website.�

I hope that helps.

Regards

Andy

11 Jul 2012     

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

Thanks a lot for your wonderful and detailed explanation, Dear Colleague. BUT I �m still doubtful about sentence number 4. I THINK IT SHOULD BE; look at the main ideas below and skim reading paragraph......

12 Jul 2012     

rnrlisa
United States

Hi there!
Skim read is okay, especially if the students aren �t familiar with the meaning of the verb skim
Skim through is the usual instruction for quick reading activities.
Have a nice day:-)

12 Jul 2012     

douglas
United States

Watch out for misplaced modifiers!

12 Jul 2012     

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

12 Jul 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

in your first sentence it sounds as if they can only choose people who have influenced them �on a piece of paper�Confused. People often influence us most �off paper�....

12 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

Marion is right about that. It should be "On a piece of paper, write ..."

Bruce

12 Jul 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Here are my thoughts

1. Misplaced clause - superfluous article
On a piece of paper, write the names of two people who have influenced you
OR
Write the names of two people, on a piece of paper, who have influenced you

2. Optional article
Each person has (a) part of a text about the life of William Shakespeare

3: This is fine
His mother came from a farming family (OR background) [if she is no longer alive]

4. which paragraphs? whole article?- purpose
Look at the main ideas below and skim read the �Going Green in Australia� website why/for what purpose?

5. I can �t think of the term for this -
Using the report sections in Activity 8, make notes on the problems that the polar bear faces

Cheers

Jayho

P.S. crossed with Marion and Bruce

12 Jul 2012