Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > need your help    

need your help

kurmama
Kazakhstan

need your help

hello everyone!

I need your help. On Monday I am going to start a new pre-intermediate group,and they are of different ages 25 -40, do you have any icebreaker suggestions
Thanks in advance.

27 Jul 2012      

papadeli
Greece

1. The Classic Toilet Paper Icebreaker
toilet-paper.jpg
Bring in a roll of toilet paper, and depending on the size of your class, tell the students they can take a certain number of pieces (big classes 1-4, small classes 4-8). Don �t give them any other information. Once everyone has their paper, tell them that they have to tell the class one thing about themselves for each square of paper that they have. For each sentence, they "throw-away" one square until they �re done

2. Do you like to.....?

Give each student 3 or 4 strips of paper. On each piece of paper they write something interesting about themselves. Then, collect them, mix them up and distribute them back to your students. At this point, everyone stands up and goes around the class asking questions to try to find the owner for each paper that they have.

For example,

"Do you go to ______ school?"
"Do you have a twin brother?"
"Do you love to play soccer?"

Greetings from Greece,

27 Jul 2012     

kurmama
Kazakhstan

thank you,papadeli

27 Jul 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Some excellent ideas here:
http://busyteacher.org/3352-icebreakers.html

Press download button and the document will open. Good luck.Smile

27 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Here �s what I usually use with a new group. Works great with adults.
Sophia

27 Jul 2012     

kurmama
Kazakhstan

thanks ladies!very useful!

27 Jul 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

I play a game where I introduce myself and give an adjective. The next person introduces me with my adjective and then introduces themselves with an adjective and so on around the class so the last person has to remember all the names. Everyone is allowed to help so it gets quite noisy as people remind the speaker...no writing is allowed.

So: I �m Joy and I �m ancient
This is Joy and she is ancient. I �m Yuka and I �m lovely.
This is Joy. She is ancient. This is Yuka. She is lovely and I am Gabriella. I �m shy!

28 Jul 2012