Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help me    

Help me

laurinete
Brazil

Help me

What does it  mean?   "in time" in the phrases:

"were you in time to do the two jobs?"

"were you in time to call Angela?"

7 Aug 2012      

barbarachiote
Brazil

Hi, there

"In time" means "with enough time to do something". if you were in time to do the 2 jobs, you had enough time to accomplish the activities.  And if you were in time to call Angela, you had enough time to call her.

On the other hand, if you are "on time", it means that you are punctual.

I hope it is helpful,

B�rbara

7 Aug 2012     

NanG
Argentina

On time means at a particular designated time, i.e. neither especially early nor late. The train is scheduled to arrive on time at 13:36.

In time means early enough, i.e. before a deadline or another cutoff. Passengers were required to be at the gate by 3:05pm; we didn �t get to the airport till 3, but there was no line at security, so we still made it in time.

For your specific question, either could apply depending on what you are trying to express. You can be on time, meaning you arrive at an appointed time to catch the train, or you can be in time, meaning you won �t be late, regardless of what the appointed time is.

in time
1. Before a time limit expires.
2. Within an indefinite time; eventually
on time
1. According to schedule; punctual or punctually.
2. By paying in installments.

Hope it helps!

=)

7 Aug 2012