Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Another cry for help    

Another cry for help

kelechikwu
United States

Another cry for help

Hello teachers,

I have a student. She is 35 years old. She has a degree from a university. She doesn�t speak English. She has been trying to learn it for years but it is not working out. She can speak a little but it is terrible. I started teaching her from the beginning to correct the mistakes. Let�s say on Monday I would explain the verb to be. We would practice it, she would take notes and with a satisfied face she would go home telling me she understood everything perfectly. On Tuesday she would remember half probably. The next week when she comes back she would not remember almost anything. I would explain it to her again and she with a surprised face would tell me that she has never heard anything like this before, that it was very important, and she would write it in her notes. Then the story repeats itself over and over. Every time I have to remind her to ad s to the third person verbs in present. When she tells me �He work� I would ask her to correct herself but she doesn�t see the mistake. I would explain to her again, she would remember till the end of the exercise but then the next day she keeps saying �He work�.

Has this ever happened to you? I would really appreciate any advice. I just do not know what to do anymore.

Thank you

12 Jan 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Check your messagebox.
L

12 Jan 2009     

blizzard1
Denmark

Hi kelechikwu,
I teach English to children of all ages. The 3rd person s  is difficult for ss to remember. So we do lots of different kinds of exercises in order for the ss to get used to it and eventually and hopefully it just comes out automatically.
However in almost every class there is a s who has lots of problems remembering the no matter how many times he/she  works with it. Don�t give up. Keep on teaching your s  vocabulary, verbs and so on. It might help if you use 5-10 min. of every lesson to repeat the  3rd person  s in as many ways as possible written and orally.
Hope this is helpful.

Tisha

12 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

It has happened to me of course. I surelly find adult people harder to pick out a new language comparing them to the younger ones.

My strategy is to leave them homework to do during the days/hours they�re not going to see me.

For instance, once I did something very motivating and different ( its what they told me). The activity was called, " people I love". They had to dedicate a whole page of a notebook for a special person (someone they love: mother, father, son, daughter, pet, etc) one per day. They needed to spend a little more time than usual with them and write down about their physical appearance, likes, dislikes, professions, hobbies, etc.

I can also choose some other activities every week such as:

keeping a diary record--simple past
Planner-future
Self reading project...etc.

I know it can be frustrating and I congratulate the worry you have for your students. But don�t desperate just try first of all to make a needs-analysis (see where is the unmotivation coming from and what she needs the English for) and then prepare extra activities for her so she does not miss you- its how I tell my students the reason I make them use English at home when Im not there jjeje.

* Another thing, your feedback may be lacking of something as well. For me; lesson taugh, lesson evaluated at the end of the class and lesson recalled at the beggining of every next class*

I hope my little teching experience helpt you in something.

12 Jan 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi Hele,

I feel sorry for you bc I had the same experience and I know it feels like" pouring water in the sand".But it�s up to you and to the degree of motivation you use.If you give her a one-to-one lessons,I think it�s less serious than if you have her in a group.

I think she�s a slow learner.But don�t worry,she�ll soon get involved if you insist more on communication and don�t care much about grammar(at least at the beginning.)

Don�t overcorrect her and try to use enough positive reinforcement.Let her have self confidence and you�ll feel the change.

WISH YOU GOOD LUCK. 

12 Jan 2009     

kelechikwu
United States

Thank you everyone for your responds. These are great ideas and somewhat new for me. I�ll change my style of teaching a little. I have been trying to focus more on grammar and less on speaking where things should be the other way around. Sometimes I forget that because grammar for me is as clear as water but it is not true for everyone. (It is easy now to forget the time when I was learning English myself!)

She is definitely a slow learner! I encourage her all the time and I think that she is my most interesting and challenging student. I will try the new things you all have suggested. Nothing is impossible and I am sure that soon I will update the information on my "victorious" student!

Have a good day!

12 Jan 2009