Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Conditional Type 1    

Conditional Type 1

k3shi4
Indonesia

Conditional Type 1

Dear friends, 

As I am an English tutor, I have some students. Yesterday, One of them told me that she studied Conditional Type 1. Her teacher taught her the fact for that type. As long as I studied Conditional (when I was in high school and university), I never learnt that there was a fact for conditional type 1 (none of my teachers and lecturers taught me about it) and the other teachers of my students also never taught it. So my question is, is there really a fact for conditional type 1?

Here are some of the examples given by her teacher:
Conditional:  If Ruli helps me, we can finish our work.
Fact   :  Ruli doesn �t help me so that we can �t finish our work.

Fact   : Because we are the 12th grade students, we prepare the final exam.
Conditional: If we are the 12th grade students, we wouldn �t prepare the final exam.

Thank you. :)

3 Sep 2012      

yanogator
United States

I don �t quite understand why you are using the word "fact" here. A fact is something that is true. What you have in your first example is a counter-example for the situation of the conditional. In your second example, you just have a negation of the second part, which doesn �t work with the conditional. Also, "wouldn �t" isn �t the right form for your sentence.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, any conditional has a counter-example, which is what would happen if the condition wasn �t met. It isn �t a fact. It �s just the opposite situation with the opposite outcome.

If I overeat, I �ll gain weight.
I don �t overeat, so I don �t gain weight.

If the students study, they will do well on the exam.
The students don �t study, and they fail the exam.

I hope this helps you.
Bruce

3 Sep 2012     

KoreGuney
Australia

I think second example  should read
If we were the 12th grade students, we would prepare the final exam.

The truth: we �re not 12 grade students so its hypothetical.

If we weren �t the 12th grade students, we wouldn �t prepare the final exam.

The truth: We �re 12 grade students so we are studying once again hypothetical assumption.

3 Sep 2012     

k3shi4
Indonesia

Thanks for the explanation, Bruce.

In my city, the students are taught to change the conditional form (usually from type 2 and 3) into the fact (English teachers in my city always use fact, not counter-example) and for type 1, this is the first time I know about counter-example for type 1.

For my second example, my student told me that she had answered "If we are not the 12th grade students, we won �t prepare the final exam" but her teacher said that is wrong and If we are the 12th grade students, we wouldn �t prepare the final exam" was the correct answer. My student got very confused with her teacher �s weird answer so I told her that her answer (not her teacher �s answer) was correct. Sometimes, it is difficult enough for a tutor to tell the mistakes to the school teacher. If I did that, I was afraid that the teacher would give bad marks to my student.

3 Sep 2012     

douglas
United States

It looks to me like the teacher is asking students to derive a fact from the conditional as a way to help them understand its meaning.  I think it is just a teaching tool for better understanding.

4 Sep 2012     

k3shi4
Indonesia

@KoreGuney: She was only taught Conditional type 1 at that time and I knew that it was the teacher �s mistake because she gave another wrong answer again in some of the example that she gave to her students at school and my student said that her teacher insisted that her wrong answers were right. 

@Douglas:  You are right. :)

4 Sep 2012