Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Ideas for ´Hanging out ´.    

Ideas for ´Hanging out ´.

jamie_s
Thailand

Ideas for ´Hanging out ´.

The principal at my school wants all the Western teachers to meet with 9 of the Thai, Chinese and Filipino teachers once a week to ´hang out ´. She wants them to learn English but doesn ´t want it to be a lesson. Some of the teachers out of the 9 are English teachers already included Thai English teachers and the Filipinos.

I need some ideas of things we can do together in school for that one period a week. I ´ve thought of playing boardgames, watching movies and karaoke (Thai love karaoke) but I would like some more suggestions of the members here.

Fell free to suggest anything. There will be 10 groups all together, of ten teachers, and we are all at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by all of us at my school in Thailand. Smile

12 Sep 2012      

MarionG
Netherlands

In my experience, cooking/eating together is a great way to spend time together and get people to talk in an informal setting. Having different nationalities offers the possibility of ´themed ´ food days; an evening of Thai food, Chinese food,  etc....
If English is to be the focus you could team up native speakers and non natives for the preperation time: a team to cut veggies, a team to actually cook, a team to arrange a nice table etc. etc. and then all sit together to eat for the ´hanging-out ´ part....English content can be boosted even more by obligating people in turn to prepare a funny or interesting presentation/exercise as a conversation starter for the ´sitting around the table ´ - part.

Logic puzzles are another great way to get everyone involved in conversation. I don ´t know exactly how they are called but they usually start with describing a situation, and by asking questions participants need to find out how that scene was created.
there was a post on the forum once with lots of examples maybe someone remembers?

12 Sep 2012     

jamie_s
Thailand

Thank you Smile

18 Sep 2012     

millmo
France

Can you on the first meeting suggest a topic of discussion for the following week? or one week have an "international" meal, where everyone brings something to eat from their own country, you can discuss what it is and how it is made. Or you could have a party game week, pass the balloon without hands etc. You could have a cards week, or if someone has a particular skill, ie painting then you could have demonstrations / craft days etc

19 Sep 2012