Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A bit confused!    

A bit confused!

Faurfab
France

A bit confused!

What should I teach my pupils : "If I were ..." ou "if I was ..." ?
Which one is commonly used ?
Thanks for your help!

15 Sep 2012      

medad
Iran

In conditional sentences type 2 We use If I were ... It �s an imaginary situation. for example
If I were a doctor, I could help you. ( I �m not a doctor and I can �t help.)

15 Sep 2012     

Faurfab
France

Thank you medad for your quick answer but even if , when we use the 2nd conditional, we should use "If I were",I have seen many times (in songs for example) "if I was".
 So I am wondering if native English people use "if I was" in their daily conversation? 

15 Sep 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

medad is still correct, but the subjunctive in English is dying. However, "if I were you, I would..." is one of the last holdouts. But I hear more and more native speakers saying, "if I was you"; that isn �t standard yet, but the language (especially American English) is moving toward "if I was you." I don �t teach the subjunctive at all at my level, but if I did (subjunctive), I would teach "if I were" and point out that some native speakers say "if I was."

15 Sep 2012     

foose1
United States

Formal versus informal.  Informal, "if I was."  Formal, "if I were."   I always used, "if I was" until I found myself taking English 101 in college.  Good thing, they gave me the opportunity to take bonehead English and I did.

15 Sep 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Faurfab

Professors Quirk and 4 others in "A Comprehensice Grammar of the English Language", page 1094, write:

"The idiom �If I ... you � by convention usually contains the subjunctive �were �, though �was � also occurs frequently".

It is my opinion that, in the part of the UK where I live, many �well-educated people � use "If I were", but a much larger number of �ordinary people � and �well-educated people � use "If I was" in ordinary conversation.

I hope that this helps.

Les

15 Sep 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Spot on, Les. I hope Almaz doesn �t get to see this, though. He will go crazy if we label that �were � a subjunctive. Wink

15 Sep 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Good try, Lynne. Randolph Quirk is one of my favourite linguists. The grammar that Les quotes is considered (Wikipedia) to be "the first grammar of English in real use rather than one based on rules handed down by teachers and scholars" (that is, �descriptive �, as opposed to the zombie rules many of our colleagues insist on). As the good Lord Quirk has often indicated, language study moves with the times and the criteria can change accordingly as research methods improve.  The most recent exhaustive, descriptive grammar of the English language, Huddleston and Pullum �s The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language does make a point of saying that there is a problem with referring to the past of the subjunctive. At the risk of being tedious, can I just re-repost Geoff Pullum �s blog piece on this subject:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4042

15 Sep 2012     

Faurfab
France

Thank you all of you for your answers!

16 Sep 2012