Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > USING OUR MOTHER TONGUE ON WORKSHEET    

USING OUR MOTHER TONGUE ON WORKSHEET

profeglori
Spain

USING OUR MOTHER TONGUE ON WORKSHEET

Hi everybody.
First, I have to say that this web is helping me to do a better job with my worksheet, and for that I have to thank you all.
Also, I noticed that there are wonderful worksheet that use other languages than English to help the students to understand what is required. Fine, I also do it. The problem is that we are not warned about that fact and when we download them, sometimes we can�t understand that language.
I think it would be interesting , if that the case, we were warned in the description of the worksheet so we can decide before dowloading the worksheet.
Thank you all for making yhis experience one of the best in all my career as a teacher.
Gloria

15 Jan 2009      

Damielle
Argentina

I agree with you, Gloria.The author should state the language in the description. Nevertheless, as far as I know, we shouldn�t include our own language in a ws. Let�s ask the other members...

Can we include our mother tongue in a worksheet???

15 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I just saw one today in Dutch and had to read it through in the preview window  for a
long time before I found out it was useless to me and my students.Unhappy

Victor writes on the upload page: (I quote)

We only accept ESL resources written in English language.

If you want to use your mother language for helping your students - that�s just fine - but you need to change it when uploading here.
What are my Danish students going to do with questions and help in another language??

Hope this helps

Libertybelle

15 Jan 2009     

profeglori
Spain

I also agree with you in the use of our mother tongue. But that�s flexible, we must not forget our special needs students. That�s why I wasn�t to strong on the subject. You are right, we should check our worksheet before uploading them and make sure we are not using a language that other can�t understand.

15 Jan 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Before handing in a ws I proof read it and adapt it according to my students special needs. So that�s the time to translate into your mother tongue if necessary. Meanwhile, I strongly support that wss should be written in English or in both the mother language and English if they have been designed for a specific purpose that demands the use of mother language.

15 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

I have no problem with instructions being in another language BUT people should also include in English the instructions when uploading the worksheet here, so that the rest of us know what the lesson is about and what the students are required to do. 

15 Jan 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I�m a believer that learning instructions is also part of learning a second language. I never use mother tongue on my worksheets for the students. I prefer to model the activity before asking them to finish the sheet.
As for my special need students, well, I sit with them and help them out. I don�t like speaking mother tongue in my classroom to the point that if I have too, I go in the corridor with the student(s) in question.

15 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I have come across a couple of worksheets that seemed very good but I couldn�t use them at all because the instructions were in another language.  I tend to agree with Damielle and Libertybell.  Victor intended that this site be made for English worksheets only. I teach French students and sometimes some of my worksheets have some French in them, for my classes only.  As Libertybell mentioned they should be changed before uploading.

15 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

One more time................

What you do with your class is up to you.
But what you do here concerns everyone.

The worksheet I wrote about had the reading text in English and
all the questions for comprehension in Dutch.
It took me a long time to get through the first part, only to discover
that all the ESL exercises were in Dutch.
I call that a total waste of time.

(sorry to be so grumpy) But the rules here state clearly that all
ESL printables uploaded here are to be in English.

15 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think that you are all making a big deal out of a very small problem.  I agree that all instructions should be in English and if it is a weak group you can add mother tongue.  So what�s the big idea of erasing the instructions you don�t need or changing them.  If it is a good / interesting ws, I don�t mind changing stuff.  What gets to me more are the ones with the name of the school or the box for name, class etc.  with a logo that you can�t erase.

While we are talking about what bugs me,  I would like  people to put the name of the text in their description or at least what it is about.  There are some really weird topics floating around here that I hope are being used for adult ed. only.

15 Jan 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

And what do you do eng789 when you don�t understand the instructions because you don�t know that language??? I think that the worksheet you have downloaded may turn useless in this case!!!

15 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >