Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > On phrasal verbs; what are you tips to make your students enjoy learning them    

On phrasal verbs; what are you tips to make your students enjoy learning them

BRAHIM S
France

On phrasal verbs; what are you tips to make your students enjoy learning them

Good evening everyone
I have been teaching upper intermediate and advanced students at continuing instruction for the last 5 years... and phrasal verbs (as well as verb forms, modals, link words, ...) have always been their typical priorities of study when it comes to grammar.....
I should admit "phrasal verbs" is one of the most difficult points to teach... and I have proceeded differnetly each year... I have tried short and long (impressive) lists, followed by exercises....,  focussing on a very few verbs with all the combinations, studying them by topic or theme....
I was just wondering if any of you have other ideas or tips on how to make students enjoy learning their phrasal verbs
Thank you all for your contributions
BRAHIM

16 Jan 2009      

MissMelissa12
Peru

I HAVE A COUPLE OF TIPS TO MAKE STUDENTS WORK PRODUCTIVELY WITH PHRASAL VERBS.

IM AT WORK NOW THOUGH Stern Smile.

I�LL GET YOU SOME LATER.

16 Jan 2009     

vered
Israel

Hi,

my partner and I  actually did a whole seminar on what you are asking and came up with a whole method of how to teach PV called the Alternative Method for Teaching Phrasal Verb (by Aroch.S & Shai.V, 2007). In a nutshell consider this: move the PV from something that the pupil needs to learn by heart into a visual auditory and tactile-kinesthetic task. For example use a card game, flash cards, pantomime: hung up the phone vs. hung up a picture. Make sure the pupil is active (i.e. he/she mimes, plays the card game).

Smile Vered

16 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Now Im back (hope its not too late)

I�ve taugh PV so many times. What I do is:

First of all, I arrange the PV I will teach in a way that my students will find them easy to remember. For instance, I started in an alphabetical order according to the particle.  

*For the meaning of the PV I  always help myself and my students through FLASHCARDS and sentence examples.

*I make my students create their own readings ( create stories, write about a particular topic we discussed before) and separate a vocabulary corner in one side of their pages for them to write down the phrasal verbs they used with their meanings (in English).

***No better way to learn PV than using them in a SPOKEN and WRITTEN  way ***

*Songs usually are full of phrasal verbs. I work with songs a lot too.

*There are some games you can work with:
  -> memory game
  -> Verb race games.
  -> Charades e.tc

* When I am with my class that uses a workbook, I use the topics from their books. To be honest I hate that book since they teach PVs that people dont really use and a lot of bible therms which of course I change them. I�ve been scold for this btw.

I hope I helpt a little.

Hug

16 Jan 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

Thank you so much (Vered and Melissa)  for your  relevant suggestions, precious help ....
It�s never late, Melissa.....

Songs are indeed very helpful as they are often full of PVs, I have been using that too  and my students find those PVs used in songs  easier to remember....

Have a nice day

16 Jan 2009