Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Re. thanks on worksheets    

Re. thanks on worksheets

alien boy
Japan

Oh no! The �THANKS POLICE�.

Just how will any member�s INSISTENCE is actually enforceable!

The matters of opinion (not differences in courtesy) are because of a fundamental difference in belief about why we are her & what we believe shows �courtesy�.

Ramming things down people�s throats, using etiquette (i.e. excessive amounts of bold type) to emphasise things is akin to shouting online. 

The majority of users don�t comment in the forum or on worksheets. What are you going to do? Ranting & raving will not change that.

Your alternatives are to see if  Victor will support a �thanks policy� - no thanks, no download.... which strikes me as being against his desires... or withdraw your work & interaction with downloaders. Share your work only with those who will send a �thank you message� through one medium or another.

Several of us have had the �thank you bleating� up to our necks. It is a discussion thread that comes up �ad nauseum� to which there is no resolution. The majority of the time it is instigated by a few individuals or continued (with accompanying shouting) by certain individuals. Don�t get me wrong... I�m no better because I throw my 2 cents worth in too.

This has been entirely my own rant. people can feel free to disregard my opinions!

17 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi AB! We know that there is no way we can enforce the �Thanks Policy�, that must come from within!  But there�s definitely one thing we can do.  By telling the other contributors how important those thank you notes are for us, we can encourage others to develop a more positive attitude through the simplest of all actions - saying "THANK YSmileU!

17 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Well we all should speak for ourselves.

Personally, I dont think it is such a big deal. I dont consider myself unpolite. I do love this site, I�m commited to this, and none can say who is commited and who is not to this site and the work we do here. I like the comments when I have and I comment as well. But sincerelly I dont comment on other worksheets because it�s a politeness thing or to show I have manners. When I comment on someone it is because I feel so.

My point is, why to judge the other? We don�t even know each other. We know a little bit of each other because of our worksheets but that is flexible as well. And we should be awared also that in this site there are people from all around the world, with different customs and manners. And anybody is better than the other .

I insist, lets just leave all the uploaders and downloaders alone to choose if they think it is necessary or not to leave a comment.

For you , Mena, it might be different. And I respect that.

17 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Cool. I can understand the desire & can even agree that the only way to educate is to reinforce.

I just disagree with the hyperbole & moral lectures that accompany the posts.

Keep them short, succinct & don�t shout at people. We are all here of our own volition. We don�t need the lectures when those who take part in the forums are only a small proportion of the 100,000+ membership.

Wink Cheers!

17 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

I don�t mind you calling me "the Insistence", I even found it sweet Smile, but really I don�t see myself as  a "thanks policewoman"! And by the way, I�m not familiar with net etiquette, the way I behave here is exactly the same way I behave in real life, so when i write something in bold I do that for emphasis, nothing else. i just wanted to clarify that to avaoid misunderstandings! I don�t shout! I never shout! Maybe I should ... LOL

17 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I think instead, we should QUIT this topic for good.

or start the topic with a less generalized tittle and write:

I WANT YOU COMMENTS ON MY LAST WORKSHEETS!

I HAVEN�T GOTTEN SO MANY COMMENTS YET!

You know like speaking for ourselves....

17 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

GOOD NIGHT. IT�S 3AM HERE. IT�s not cold....

Hopefully Victor will ban people to ask for comments one day jajaja. Teasing.

Have a wonderful...day/night/evening/afternoon/morning whatever it is.

17 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Melissa, there�s nothing wrong in discussing this topic! We�re just sharing our feelings, ideas, opinions... And when I say "we", Im not including everybody in the site. If you have followed the threads you know that there is a considerable number of people here who have shared their opinions in the forum about the issue and consider a thank you note a question of good manners, just like me. When I say "WE", I include them, no one else. I�m a very humble person.

17 Jan 2009     

xcharo
Spain

When someone suggests an interesting site, there are a lot of comments on the message saying �thanks, great site�, etc. So, personally, I think that when someone downloads a worksheet, the least to be done is a comment. It�s not only a question of politeness or appreciation (we all like getting comments on our work), but when I download something it is because I find it useful and interesting and I know I�m borrowing something from other member, so a comment for me is something like �can I borrow this, please?�

17 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Ok, here are my two cents worth:

People that don�t leave thank you notes - may or not be rude. But also, in my opinion, asking or insisting that people leave "thank yous" is, believe it or not, also rude.

I find it highly embarrassing to see people are insisting that we MUST thank them. It�s like pandering for praise and I find that very disheartening. We are adults, - and yes I know comments are nice (and I love and treasure each one I receive) BUT it would embarrass me to no end, having to ask others to thank me for my work!

Linda

17 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >