Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Pronouns & possessive adjectives    

Pronouns & possessive adjectives

marwashehab
Egypt

Pronouns & possessive adjectives

Can anybody help me , my students are confused about the difference between Subject pronouns, Object pronouns and possessive adjectives.

Thanks

19 Sep 2012      

papadeli
Greece

Use pictures to explain.
Greetings from Greece,

19 Sep 2012     

mizutamari
United States

Subject pronouns come before the verb, while object pronouns come after the verb for a simple explanation.

Possessive adjectives denote who something belongs to.  You can practice this easily in class by holding up items that students have with them and asking who they belong to.

If your students know the difference but get confused, perhaps make a list to go up on the classroom wall for reference.  As for remembering the words themselves, they just have to study them repeatedly until they stick.

We often use the following pattern in class:

I have a pen.
This is my pen.
This pen is mine.

You have a backpack.
That is your backpack.
That backpack is yours.

etc.

19 Sep 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Marwashehab, (and Members who need it),
Please, send me a PM. with your EMAIL ADDRESS, and I will forward a Worksheet with a Chart which illustrates these points.
I MUST HAVE your EMAIL ADDRESS, so that I can send you the Worksheet as an ATTACHMENT.
(I tried to display this Worksheet on the Forum, but it was distorted).
I hope that the Worksheet helps you.
Les

19 Sep 2012     

marwashehab
Egypt

Thanks all for your kind reply

19 Sep 2012