Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > COULD YOU SHARE?    

COULD YOU SHARE?

pilarmham
Spain

COULD YOU SHARE?

I wonder how the budget cuts have affected your classes, what problems you have found, if your work has been greatly influenced, whether you think this situation will have an effect on the future, what are your impressions? 

Wacko

29 Sep 2012      

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Well, the situation in Portugal is serious.Thousands of teachers (me included) are out of work in state schools.

Education is being affected greatly by budget cuts, and as a consequence, classes have too many students(30 aprox), schools gather in "mega agrupamentos", that �s to say the basement school is responsible for a bgiger number of schools  and a great number of teachers is feeling hopeless or exhausted with the current situation....

29 Sep 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Pilar, you know that in Spain things are getting worse and worse every year. Our High School budget will hardly be enough to have heating in the classrooms during the winter months. The photocopies we can make to give the students have been reduced. We cannot buy books for children whose parents can �t afford to buy them. In conclusion, the situation is very serious and  public schools and high schools will have to face a very difficult situation this year and thing won �t change in the short term, I am afraid.
Yolanda 

30 Sep 2012     

olaola
Italy

...the situation is not better here in Italy... in the last four years thousend of teachers lost their job, teachers with more than 10 years � experience of teaching (like me) were moved from school to school ( I changed 6 schools in 3 years!!!) even in places very far from their home (not considering their families and little children). Children with different needs have very few hours of individual teaching because the specialized teachers for them have been reduced; schools are receiving less and less funds, we teachers pay for the photocopies for our students, family often can �t afford buying books so we prepare teaching materials with our own money....a lot of school (especially the smaller ones) have been put together so each single school has more than seven -eight (and even more) branches...no money for reparing schools no money for new desks and chair...

30 Sep 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

It isn �t great here in the USA, either. In the public schools, class sizes are increasing, and many "frivolous" classes such as art, music, PE, and upper-level math and science classes are being cut. The states and cities are trying to break up teachers � unions to hold the line on salaries and to force loss of tenure.

At my community college, our classes are getting larger, too, because many people who are unemployed are going back to school again. I am about to get my first raise in three years, of a whopping 3%. And my class can �t get much larger because there �s nowhere for students to sit. My furniture was rearranged because the night-time teacher in my classroom is in a wheelchair, and he has to have access to the cabinets in the back of the room. The administrators had to remove a table for that.

30 Sep 2012