Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Stolen work in real life    

Stolen work in real life

Helen McK
Ireland

Stolen work in real life

17 Jan 2009      

Mietz
Germany

I had a similar experience. I was asked to prepare an unpaid trial lesson for a school. They wanted me to send my prepared materials beforehand to have them have a look over it. I prepared the worksheet (telephoning and pronouns) and it took me almost two days. The lesson went fine and I got a job with the school.
When I started a new course there, for one of the first lessons I thought - let�s just reuse that material. I started the class, explained the objectives, handed out the copies and was told by 7 out of 15 students, that they had already used this material with a teacher from the school they had before I started the course with them...
I was actually shellschocked. I asked that teacher and she said to me, that she didn�t know it was my material, she had been given it by the boss who recommended to use it. So I confronted the boss and said that materials I produce are not for them to copy and distribute without my permission - especially as my contract demands the same from me the other way round. She said, that she didn�t know, that the teachers had swapped and distributed my material. She�d tell them not to. Wacko I told her, if that happened again, I�d bill them and I will. Never mind losing that customer. Angry

I like sharing - otherwise I wouldn�t be part of this community - but as you said Helen, it�s nice to be thanked and appreciated. (That�s why I complained about the sending no comments last night... What an ungrateful, egoistic attitude!!!)

17 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

You could wait until you are in a meeting or beside or within earshot of the "bosses" and say something like..
"I see you really like using my "(whatever)" Materials, my students have absolutely loved the series. Have you done the (Insert the topic) role play yet? , if you haven�t would you like a copy of MY (choose one), that one has been a real hit! ?Just let me know ..... "

Then give your biggest smile :-) *(butter doesn�t melt in THIS mouth young man!)

1: He will know YOU KNOW he is using your stuff without him actually asking for it
2: The bosses will hear and know he is using YOUR stuff not making his own and taking credit for it...
3: You come out smelling of roses for being so lovely and helpful to a fellow colleague

Win: Win

It is not a great situation when people you work with are lazy but well liked.....
I would definitely "hold the tongue" and go for the above approach or something similar :-)
Good luck!!!

17 Jan 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Short of having a discussion with him I don�t think there is much you can do. One thing going your way though is that some of your colleagues know that the material is yours. If this guy tries to pass it on as his, you have other people who can say it�s not true.

I know that my boss knows what I�m doing in my classroom because I sometimes stop by her office to discuss students. I usually take that time to talk about my projects. She does not necessarily see my work but she knows what is going on in my classes. Maybe your bosses are aware of what you do too.

17 Jan 2009     

memthefirst
Turkey

My colleague really doesn�t care.She never uses worksheets.I always do.She just has a

look at my fotocopies when I leave them in the teacher�s room and when I am not

there....so funny. Smile

I think depending only on the book and thinking that translating the grammar is a way to

teach English is very useless.

AT LEAST SHE DOESN�T STEAL THEM.I AM LUCKY!!!

17 Jan 2009     

Helen McK
Ireland

17 Jan 2009     

maestra545
United States

There�s an electronic method of protecting your work. If you�re using Ms Word, add a footer with your name, the date, the school, or whatever info you want to use to identify the worksheet as yours. Then in the Tools menu, select "Protect Document". That way, if someone gets an electronic copy, he or she can�t delete your footer. Of course, they can cut it off the bottom of the pages when they go to copy it...

Teachers like the one you describe need to be exposed, and there�s no shame in pointing out to your bosses that he�s illegally using your work.

Good luck!!

17 Jan 2009     

Godo
Spain

I think there�s another thing you can do with Word, you can add a background image so that no one can cut it out to make a photocopy of it with a different name. In that image you could include your name and maybe the school logo. You might need to do some experimenting until you get something that does not interfere with your text when photocopied.

If you have a webpage in your school, or one of your own, you could also publish your materials there as protected .pdf files with that watermark. That way you can always prove that the work is yours (you have the publication date to prove it) and expose your colleague in front of your boss if you really are fed up. I probably would do that (I�m too unsubtle to follow Cheezles� excellent advice) if I found my work under another person�s name (in fact, come to think of it, I did some months ago; I was on the Internet and I came across a document I had written; I politely asked the person who had copied it to remove his name as the author, and it turned out that a different person had put his name there. Not your case, though).

17 Jan 2009