Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > past simple or present perfect?    

past simple or present perfect?

kinho
Brazil

past simple or present perfect?

Hi everybody!!! Hope you are all well... My question is: in the following sentence, would you use simple past or present perfect? I thought it was simple past because it seems that she is not living alone anymore, but I have this doubt... What do you think?
 The sentence: She _____________ alone for five years. ( to live ) If we use the perfect tense it implies that she is still living alone or not????
Thanks in advance!!! Big hug for u!!!

2 Oct 2012      

pilarmham
Spain

It depends:

If she still lives alone, you should use the present perfect tense (is she has company now or if she is dead, the past tense would be needed).

2 Oct 2012     

LevisEscober
Honduras

I think that is simple past because she lived alone just four years but it finished, 
so for me the correct is:
She lived alone for five years.

2 Oct 2012     

mtlaili
Tunisia

I certainly agree with you dear. Yet, it depends upon the context/ the paragraph/ the current situation. Your interpretation of the situation determines which tense is appropriate.

2 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, either choice can be correct. If we are talking about the past, with no interest in the present, we say, "She lived alone for five years" (at some time in the past). If the situation continues to the present, we say, "She has lived alone for five years" (so far).

Bruce

2 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

You can even use the present perfect continuous for extra fun: "She has been living alone for five years, but now she is planning to get married."

2 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

I agree, MoodyMoody. I had considered mentioning that, but I didn �t want to open a can of worms.

Bruce

2 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

But cans of worms are soooo much fun to open! I have been doing that for years!

3 Oct 2012     

imen66
Tunisia

the simple past since the fact of living alone finished in the past so I think :She lived alone for five years is correct

3 Oct 2012