Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > present continuous doubt. EAT    

present continuous doubt. EAT

nuroma
Spain

present continuous doubt. EAT

I have a doubt, when we want to use the present continuous it is said that if the word is monosyllable we have to double the last consonant, for example: sit - sitting, stop - stopping, but.... What happen withe the verb to eat? why we don �t double the "t"?? eat- eating...

Thanks for your help.

3 Oct 2012      

silrap
Portugal

Hi

the answer is no. You don �t double the consonant in "eat". The rule is simple: we only double consonant when the word ends with consonant and is preceded by one vowel. When we have two vowels, we don �t double  the last consonant.

Examples:

meet - meeting
eat - eating
keep - keeping

Bye

3 Oct 2012     

elwirafinka
Poland

Hi!

The rule with doubling the last consonant only works when the previous vowel is the so-called �short � one. In �sit � or �stop � �i � or �o � make a short sound, but �ea � in �eat � is a long vowel...

Hugs!

3 Oct 2012     

julivan
Spain

Double the final consonants in monosyllabic words with CVC or CCVC structure.
SIT is CVC so sitting
EAT is VVC only eating

3 Oct 2012     

nuroma
Spain

Thanks for your quick help!! Now I understand it.

3 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I teach my class the rule this way:
Verb ends with:

One vowel
One consonant
Strong syllable
Double!

So beg: begging
begin: beginning

Two vowels: no double (eating)
Two consonants: no double (drinking)
Weak syllable: no double (opening)

It takes a while for it to sink in, though. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

3 Oct 2012     

manoue16
France

So what rule do you use for "travel"? Traveling? Travelling?

The "vel" syllable is weak, so it should be : "traveling"...
"Travel" ends with CVC, so it should be "travelling"...

3 Oct 2012     

valentinaper
Greece

I teach that rule the way Moody Moody illustrated it. As for "travel", it �s travelling in British English (I suppose it �s an exception to the rule) but traveling in American English (or so I hear).

3 Oct 2012     

barbarachiote
Brazil

In British English, there�s a rule for verbs ending in l, according to this, verbs ending in l double the last consonant to form the simple past and the present continuous: Travel, travelling, travelled. But it just apply for British English. 

3 Oct 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

This is my rule:
When forming the present continuous (or progressive), we need to double the last letter of the verb when:
the verb ends with CVC,
and the last syllable is emphasized
unless the last letter is an X, Y  (buying, fixing)

I mistakenly wrote X, Y and Z earlier but - as next posts clarify - it doesn�t seem to hold up for Z, only X and Y 

Since I only teach primary school, I usually am more than content when they remember to double the last letter for cvc endings and lovingly forgive them if they double also when the last syllable is not emphasized or the last letter was X or Y .........It means they got the basic idea, fine-tuning will come with use and practice........(of course I will point it out but I also mention that those are exceptions and they got the main rule right...) 

3 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

@Marion,
I don �t think there is a verb that ends in a vowel followed by a single z. That �s why you can �t think of one.
Bruce

3 Oct 2012     

1    2    Next >