Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Boardgames / conversation for teenagers    

Boardgames / conversation for teenagers

SaraMariam
United States

Boardgames / conversation for teenagers

Hi everybody,

wow, it �s been a long time since I �ve last been here, many things have changed! I hope you are all doing great!

I will be starting my English classes again next week and thought about a project for teenagers to help them with their conversation in English.  So I �ll do some after school hours with the teens where I wanted to talk, watch movies and play games that help them to start using the language. I was wondering if you have any ideas which boardgames I could buy? It doesn �t have to be necessarily connected to grammar points or anything, just to get them talking without them "noticing that they are doing an effort". I was thinking about games like taboo and alike. The kids are between 13 and 16 years old, so an intermediate level (some a bit weak).

I would be very grateful for any advice you could give - also for other activities that one could do.

Hugs
Sara

5 Oct 2012      

mariec
Spain

Hi Sara,

Just type in "board games" in site search of Esl printables, and you�ll fine tons of wonderful games.

All the best.

5 Oct 2012     

SaraMariam
United States

Hi Mariec,

yes you are right,  there are some really nice games here, but i actually want to buy some ready made ones, like you get in the shops :)

Thanks a lot :)

5 Oct 2012     

perma
Greece

Instead of taboo you can get this one http://www.amazon.com/Pressman-Toy-3011-06-Dont-Game/dp/B001DOBMC2 it �s for children (mother tongue!) so the vocabulary is more suitable for esl learners.
These look a lot of fun too:
Amazon has other interesting suggestions for games, too Wink

5 Oct 2012     

mjpa
Spain

Sara, there�s a game which works wonderfully with all my students, no matter their age. It�s the typical and so well-known "Who is Who" from my childhood. The real game. I mean, I know there are lots of worksheets here in the web, for instance, based on this game. But I�m referring to the game which you can buy anywhere in many different formats. I hope you know what I�m talking about. The fact of having to turn down the characters any time they answer a new question is great for them. And it works wonderfully for reviewing the verbs to be and to have and the vocabulary having to do with body and descriptions. (has it got blue eyes? /Is it blonde ...?

5 Oct 2012     

mariec
Spain

Sara,  I�ve used the following games with my students;

"My First Pictures"  from  "The Green Board Game Company"

" Outburst" from "Mattel Games"

And of course" Scrabble" which is a great favourite.

5 Oct 2012     

tulpen25
Netherlands

Bananagrams is always a lot of fun to play in class. It �s like Scrabble but you make your own words and the game goes much faster!

5 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

perma is right about suggesting an alternative to Taboo. Although I �m not familiar with Don �t Say It, I agree that the "taboo" words in Taboo will be too restrictive for ESL students (since they �re meant to be a challenge for native speakers). So, Taboo is a great choice as far as entertainment value, but Don �t Say It will probably be more successful.

Bruce

5 Oct 2012     

SaraMariam
United States

Thanks a lot for all your help! They really sound great! yes, I agree to you about Taboo, it �s already hard enough for me in my mother tongue, so i don �t even want to imagine the kids. but i �ll check out the alternative for sure!

Thanks a million for all that useful advice!

5 Oct 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

what about a simple game like "neither yes nor no" http://www.grammar-horror.de/language_games/yesno.php
you won �t have to buy anything and i �m pretty sure your pupils will have a lot of fun :)

5 Oct 2012