Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > simple present game    

simple present game

olaola
Italy

simple present game

Hi teachers! do you know any game to practice simple present? I have big classes, elementary level, no table game (they are too noisy)
thanks
OlaolaSmile

9 Oct 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about splitting them into groups and using speaking cards?

9 Oct 2012     

Miss B.
France

The game "find someone who..." ( lives in Paris, loves basket-ball.....etc). Give them a list and they go around the classroom asking questions ("do you love in Paris? Do you like...?"). The one whi finishes first has won.
Nathalie

10 Oct 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

I sometimes give them cards - one to each student - with words for things they might like.
I have a card too.

Then I "call": "I like salad Sam likes pizza."
The person with the pizza card must react and say "I like pizza. Sam likes chocolate."
The person with the chocolate card: "I like chocolate. Sam Likes apples." Etc. 

I name them all Sam to make it easier. Later I change that into "He" and "She".

The student who says "I likes" or "Sam like" is either out (not so nice) or gets a task to do (sing a song or tell five sentences about his/her favourite thing or a pet or his/her family etc.

You can do the samewith the verbs PLAY, COLLECT and others. 

They listen to each other to hear any mistakes their classmates might make and try hard not to make any themselves, 

10 Oct 2012     

futago1998
Netherlands

Dear Minka,

This sounds like a great game... Thank you!  I have one question about the game. How do the students know what �s on the cards of other students? For example if one student shouts out: "I like apples. Sam likes fish." and there is no card with fish.... Or do you use flash cards you have practiced many times? Or do you put a list on the blackboard? 

Hanneke

10 Oct 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

The cards are quite big and they must hold them in such a way that everybody can see what �s written on them.

10 Oct 2012