Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRESENT CONTINUOUS AND PRESENT PROGRESSIVE.    

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRESENT CONTINUOUS AND PRESENT PROGRESSIVE.

almaz
United Kingdom

Lynne: two of the most commonly cited grammar reference books on this site are Michael Swan �s Practical English Usage and Raymond Murphy �s English Grammar in Use. As far as I know, neither of the authors are American, yet Swan uses �progressive � in his books while Murphy prefers �continuous �.

Oh, and by way of double-checking, I had a look at David Crystal �s Making Sense of Grammar and Quirk and Greenbaum �s Concise Grammar of Contemporary English  - again, the authors are British - and both books use �progressive � when discussing aspect (although Crystal points out that it �s also known as �continuous �).

To be perfectly honest, Lynne, I used �continuous � for years and still do if the text book I �m using requires it, but I gradually found myself shifting to �progressive � when specifically talking about this aspect of the present and past tenses.

And I �m occasionally in the UK, thanks for asking :)

12 Oct 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Maggiejeria,

I am a TESOL teacher, living and working the UK.  In my opinion, �Progressive � and �Continuous � are different words for the same grammatical Aspect.

In this respect, I agree with the comments of Almaz.  I use �Progressive �,  but I don �t regard it as anything to argue about.

It is almost the same as: "I say Po-tay-toes; but you say Po-tah-toes, (Potatoes)".

Quirk et al, in "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language", page 197, say: "The PROGRESSIVE ASPECT (also sometimes called the DURATIVE or CONTINUOUS ASPECT) ..."

David Crystal in "The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language", page 225, says: "This is the Progressive (also called the Continuous Aspect).

So, I repeat, different people use the phrase which they prefer.  In my opinion, there is no �right � or �wrong �.

Les

12 Oct 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Tip o� the hat, Les, old chum!

12 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Of course there �s no right or wrong about it, but for the record, I am definitely right and everybody else is wrong. 

13 Oct 2012     

maggiejeria
Chile

Thanks a lot for all your great comments and your help.Hug

14 Oct 2012     

< Previous   1    2