Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > till/until vesus as far as     

till/until vesus as far as

Missfrancisca
Spain

till/until vesus as far as

Hello colleagues

I was teaching a group last week and we read the following sentence

First, take the underground to West-minster Station. Then walk up Parliament Street until/ till you get to Downing Street

One student told me that she thought until/till was not correct , the correct one should be as far as with reference to distance, because until/till is used to express time relations and It was not clear to me either , I said to her that the refernce is to time but I would be very grateful if you could give me a better explanation because she was not quite convinced with mine. Thanks in advance.

12 Oct 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�until you get � is correct. The explanation is that it �s a verb phrase. �As far as � would be fine without the verb, as in �walk as far as Downing Street. � (It sounds a bit odd, though.) I �m sure there �ll be better explanations!

12 Oct 2012     

annabelle1654
Germany

Definition of AS FAR AS

: to the extent or degree that <is safe, as far as we know> �often used in expressions like �as far as (something) goes� and �as far as (something) is concerned� to mean �with regard to (something)� <we felt pretty safe as far as the fire was concerned � Mark Twain> or in expressions like �as far as (someone) is concerned� to mean �in (someone �s) opinion� <as far as I �m concerned, it �s a mistake>

It in my opinion is rarely used for distance unless you mean duration:
Walk as far as you can south, then go east 2 miles.

Hope this helps
Belles

12 Oct 2012     

Pelletrine
France

I guess the notion of duration will help: here is what Merriam- Webster says:

Main Entry: 1un�til    Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: (secondarystress)schwan.]|til, _schwan]_tschwal, often schwan] after t, d, s, z, often schwaafter p, b, often schwaeng after k, g; sometimes primarystressschwan.tschwaor |schwan.secondarystresstil or]|tel
Function: preposition
Etymology: Middle English, from un- unto, until (akin to Old English omacrth, preposition & conjunction, to, up to, until, Old High Germanunt, preposition, unto, until, Old Norse & Gothic und, preposition, unto, until, Old English end end) + til till -- more at ENDTILL
1 chiefly Scotland a -- used as a function word to indicate movement to and arrival at a destination b -- used as a function word to indicate movement reaching as far as a limit or stopping point c AGAINST
2 chiefly Scotland TOTOWARD
3 -- used as a function word to indicate continuance (as of an action, condition, or state) up to a particular time <a tedious task which took until almost ten o �clock that night -- M.M.Musselman> <the accident remained undiscovered until morning>
4 a -- used as a function word after a negative expression to indicate performance or occurence at a specified time <the final ordering cannot be achieved until page proof -- American Institute of Physicsb BEFORE <had barely heard of the mayoruntil this evening -- Nigel Dennis> ....

hope it helps

12 Oct 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

This is what makes this site wonderful.  Smile

12 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

We use until or till (and the very common misspellings, til, �til, til � and �till, all of which drive me crazy) before an event, which, of course, happens in time.

So, "until you get to..." is definitely correct.

Bruce

12 Oct 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

until one finds the right place, one can �t get there, I suppose

12 Oct 2012