Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reading activities     

reading activities

jarek2011
Poland

reading activities

My post yesterday was left unaswered but I do not give up so easily. Do you know any reading activities that you can be turned into competitive games? In yesterday �s post I mentioned: "Rhubarb" and "The teacher can �t read" but I am sure there is a multitude of others that you may use and want to share on the forum.

13 Oct 2012      

perma
Greece

Hi Jarek!
Actually I hadn �t ever thought of turning reading into a competitive activity so I can �t offer any ideas here, just wanted to say that the ones you shared seem a lot of fun. I �ll be trying them for sure Thumbs Up

13 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

This is one I used to use.  It�s a scanning race.  You make up a set of questions about a text (or several texts) and then place the text on the wall or outside the wall.  The students work in pairs. Student A asks the question and Student B finds the answer on the text and reports back.  Then I switch it so B asks the question and A  finds the answer.  The first one to get all the answers correctly wins. 
I like this because it involves listening, speaking, reading and writing and it�s kinesthetic.

13 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

I meant outside the classroom, not outside the wall.  Sorry.

13 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

Oh, here �s another one.  It �s like "The Teacher Cannot Read". Divide the class in teams. The teachers reads, stops and points at a student.  That student has to say the next word and gain a point.  It works very well with long texts that students are not very willing to read alone.

13 Oct 2012     

spacewisdom
South Africa

Hi! I tried some activities and the pupils enjoyed them so you might find them useful
I ask the pupils to start reading at the same time and when I say stop they turn the page and then try to retell what they read . you can help them by asking questions and give a point. you can even ask them to predict what comes next if it is a story 
you can also devide part of the text into separate sentences and ask groups to reorder them and finally check from the text .

13 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Jarek,
Try here
You might find something useful there.
Sophia

14 Oct 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

thank you very much for your ideas!

14 Oct 2012