Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > OBLIGATION    

OBLIGATION

KHAWLA ALZIOD
Jordan

OBLIGATION

Hello everyone,

I would be grateful if you distinguish between the use of have to ,must  which one gives stronger obligation.Does the difference  relate to American or British difference  .
 thanks 

17 Oct 2012      

gulsahbilgeteacher
Turkey

If the obligation comes from an authority (school, government, profession etc.) , use "have to".  For e.g. I have to wear school uniforms.

If the obligation is not by an authority, but you feel the obligation yourself, use "must". Because you believe the necessity of this rule, too. 

For e.g. We must set out early tomorrow. 
  ( Think about a journey. You believe that it is better  to start the journey early. It �s not a rule of authority but      you put it as a rule for yourself and you think it �s necessary.)

However, the rules of authority can also be used with "must". 

E.g.  I must wear school uniforms.  ( It is a school rule but you think that it is necessary, too.)

I have to wear school uniforms. 
( It is a school rule but you do not express your idea about the necessity of this rule. Ypu just mention the rule itself.)

I hope it is much clear for you. Last, I do not think that it is an issue of British English or American English. 

Greetings from Turkey.

Gulsah

18 Oct 2012     

nernest
Egypt

I know that the british English is the one which makes a difference between must and have to but American English has no difference between them ,,,,

Greeting from Egypt
Nor :)

18 Oct 2012