Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching adult beginners in a workplace    

Teaching adult beginners in a workplace

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Teaching adult beginners in a workplace

Hi, firstly I want to thank all of you for your amazing contributions - I just love this site! Secondly, I need to ask for some advice about teaching a new group of adult beginners (I normally teach intermediate and advanced).  This will be for a group in a business where they are all labourers and the company have to meet certain Health and Safety criteria etc.  I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.Thumbs Up

Terri

22 Oct 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

In a way, you just answered your own question. Get a copy of the health and safety regulations the workers must follow. Talk and write about it in a way that they can actually understand. Have the students show you what good procedures are (e.g., lift heavy boxes from the knees, not the back). You can use that to practice both simple present and present continuous. (I always put in my earplugs when I use the machine; I am wearing my hard hat.) Make sure they understand the reasons for all the safety rules. If the workers know why they have to wear goggles, they are more likely to wear them. 

Get pictures of the safety signs at the business, either with a camera or off the Internet. Get pictures of the safety gear they must wear. You can use it to teach countable and non-countable nouns and the different grammar involved.

You can teach English dealing with other parts of the jobs as well. Teach them about pay stubs and deductions, assuming you have those in New Zealand. (We sure do in the USA!) Teach them how to ask for help when they need it. That obviously teaches questions. Teach them how to call in sick. That teaches modals.

And don �t forget to ask both the company and the students themselves what they want you to teach. When I taught a similar class 10 years ago, the company asked me to teach about American standards of hygiene. The American workers thought the immigrants literally stank. That wouldn �t have occurred to me.

22 Oct 2012     

douglas
United States

Good advice from Moody.  I would add it makes a difference if they are true beginners or false beginners.  With true beginners, depending on what their native language is, I suggest you start with the alphabet/phonics, numbers and basic vocab.

Cheers,
Douglas

23 Oct 2012     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Many thanks to Moody and Douglas - I just knew I could rely on this wonderful community of committed teachers. I now have a much better idea of the direction I should go in!!!!Will keep ypu posted about my progress or lack thereof. 

Thanks again.

Terri

23 Oct 2012